Headlight Upgrade

Avanti-Tom

What are others using for quality low current, high vision headlights using H4 tech lamps.  Don't want to add relays and keep the factory wiring "as is."  Thanks

Anyone using this site:  https://www.carid.com/1963-studebaker-avanti-factory-headlights/

Not sure why you wouldn't want to add relays.  I wrote an article in the AOAI magazine, Issue 170, pg. 47, regarding, among other things, relays for the headlamps.  Mine are hidden up under the dash, below the fuse block, and take a lot of the load off the overhead switches.  The only 'original' wiring I had to disturb was to cut the two wires leading FROM the dimmer switch and attach the two cut ends of each of these wires to the relays.  (The two 'solid' color wires lead from the dimmer switch, the wire with the tracer leads from the overhead switch to the dimmer switch.  The article details how I did it and has a picture of the result.)

I used Composite housings with a LED  H4 bulb replacement. Less current draw than any incandescent bulb. Just shop around, and make sure the housings are not the type that protrude further forward than stock glass bulbs. Otherwise the outer glass lenses will hit.

CS6P8907.jpg

One thing to note is the heat sink used for the LED bulbs. Make sure it will fit in the headlight bucket or behind it and not stick out too far to the rear and interfere with the body panel. There are very specific instructions with some of these lights requiring air flow, clearances, etc. I have found that there are a number of different configurations to consider.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 7:06 PM, mfg said:

That white Avanti has a nice 'look'!:)

This white Avanti won the Gold award in the 2016 Muscle Car and Corvette National show in the street modified class.   It beat out a number of very nice, well done cars.

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, Avanti-Tom said:

What are others using for quality low current, high vision headlights using H4 tech lamps.  Don't want to add relays and keep the factory wiring "as is."  Thanks

Anyone using this site:  https://www.carid.com/1963-studebaker-avanti-factory-headlights/

Did you purchase these? If so, we’re they a direct replacement? Did they improve your lighting? Thanks.