FantomWorks Avanti episode

GlennW

Yeah, I'd seen (most?) the episode when first aired, just meant it as a heads-up for those who might not have seen it. Kind of painful to watch, IMHO, I don't recall watching the whole thing last time.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems the owner went and did a bunch of kiddy racer mods after it was delivered and it no longer worked that well.  Was probably a good buy to return it to how the professionals did it.  Just my guess watching and seeing the post. 

I've watched the episode at least three times since it aired, generally with the sound muted. Once you get past the angst and BS of the show/episode, it's a darn nice Avanti. I was going to remove the bumpers from my 74 but Just couldn't get past how fragile the unprotected body is like this one.

I don't know how long this link will last as the car was sold but here are a ton of pictures of it. https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/4044-cha/1983-avanti-restomod

At Dover in 2014 that Avanti was parked a couple of spaces away from mine and I have to say that while some of the mods weren't to my tastes, the quality of the work was magnificent.  Some of the mods done were very nice.  The problem the owner had was he had no time to fully road test the car before driving it to Dover.  There were backlit Avanti logos set into the threshold strip on the door sill...and it turns out they didn't turn off and the battery ran down.  The owner couldn't open his trunk with no power to the opener and the trunk was full and blocked access to the backup method of opening the trunk lock.  I had a portable booster with me and we used that to get his car started so he could open the trunk. 

The lesson is to make sure everything is working as intended before taking a trip with your car...especially a radically modified car right out o the custom shop.

• 4 weeks later...