Transmission

Cbitz233

Other than being sure it will drop free of the x-member, be careful about the distributor hitting the firewall. Take a close look, you may want to pull it. Also the fan may want to hit the shroud. Leave the hood up also.

Edited by Avanti83

It wouldn't be too hard to do that if Avantis didn't have an X-member....but they do, and I don't think the tail housing of the 700R4 (a long transmission to begin with) will clear it.:(

So if i buy a engine hoist and leveler, and i know how to get the trans and engine out, what all would i want to be caucious of damaging. Obviously firewall and tunnel. Already have hood removed. Anything else i should be worried about or is it pretty straight foward once unbolted. 

Edited by Cbitz233

Pull the distributor and radiator. The engine and trans together are considerably longer than the engine compartment. 

This is my writeup on installing a 383 SBC and T56 trans in my 74 Avanti. Picture it in reverse for pulling the engine with an engine hoist. Overhead hoist would be better but many of us have them.

BTW - IIRC the 700R4 is about the same length as the T56.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?71670-Avanti-ingests-SBC-T56-combo

Edited by Avanti83