My Grandpa's 1951 Starlight Coupe Boat

Avantifan1

I wish I had a picture of this, but it's not hard to imagine. I was just thinking today what my earliest recollection of a Studebaker was, and it was my Grandpa Randall. He was a hard worker mostly working on someone else's farm. It was the mid to late 50's, Chris Craft and other boat manufacturers had developed some pretty cool looking boats, designs taken from the car industry, noses, fins, tops, interiors. Well my grandpa hard working and broke could never afford something like that, so he made his own, he had a wood boat, found a wrecked Starlight Coupe, cut the top off married the two together and used it as the windshield,  I remember thinking how cool that was, and how smart my grandpa was.

Edited by Avantifan1
forgot a line

Years ago, I remember reading an article in the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine concerning a boat with a Starlight Coupe roof grafted onto it.....There were pictures in that article.................I wonder if that could have been your Grandpa's boat??:huh::)

5 minutes ago, mfg said:

Years ago, I remember reading an article in the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine concerning a boat with a Starlight Coupe roof grafted onto it.....There were pictures in that article.................I wonder if that could have been your Grandpa's boat??:huh::)

I remember that also.  ISTR that it was in the Northwest US.  Perhaps if you make this post on the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum, rather than here on the Avanti Forum, you will get more feedback, including the article.

• 5 weeks later...