1963 Charging Systen

Avantifan1

Disregard the question, since I am not doing a restoration I have decided to update the charging system, Ignition, and possibly install Fuel Injection, it's supposed to be my toy anyway - right. I am having a hard time chasing down whats happening here. sometimes when I start the car the amp-meter just sits on "0", other times it pegs out above 35, I can't figure it out. Any Ideas?

20181204_163448.jpg

Edited by Avantifan1
Update

My solution to a failed charging system was to install a 60 amp Toyota based 1-wire alternator. It was relatively cheap ($85) and it even looks almost as original equipment. I bypassed the regulator but left it in place and have not had a single problem since. You say you are upgrading instead of restoring so this might be a way to kill two birds with one stone... you get a modern hi output alternator and no longer have to deal with a flaky external regulator. Just sayin'...

8 hours ago, StudeNorm said:

My solution to a failed charging system was to install a 60 amp Toyota based 1-wire alternator. It was relatively cheap ($85) and it even looks almost as original equipment. I bypassed the regulator but left it in place and have not had a single problem since. You say you are upgrading instead of restoring so this might be a way to kill two birds with one stone... you get a modern hi output alternator and no longer have to deal with a flaky external regulator. Just sayin'...

Norm, when you have a chance, will you please 'walk us through' the wiring setup for the Toyota alternator single wire conversion in a Studebaker Avanti?....Thanks!..Ed

15 hours ago, mfg said:

Norm, when you have a chance, will you please 'walk us through' the wiring setup for the Toyota alternator single wire conversion in a Studebaker Avanti?....Thanks!..Ed

Ed, I used the wiring diagram I found on Bob's site under  http://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Bhend/avantalternatorarticle1.pdf   This was 4 years ago. The diagram and instructions were fairly easy to follow and once I identified the wires at the original regulator it was also fairly easy to decide which ones to keep in the circuit and which ones to wire up to dummy terminals on the old regulator (I do have an electrical/electronics background). To keep the original wiring two wires need to be spliced together and this is noticeable so I may gut an old regulator and install my splice inside it. The wires to the amp meter were left intact and I installed a short jumper on the alt itself to provide the one-wire charge function. That wire is also a giveaway for my install. l believe the judges in Tacoma noticed the wiring wasn't correct at that point and docked me for it. I might make the jumper much longer and route it into the loom at some point down the road so that it looks like a "normal" three wire alt. I don't have any good photos of my install and the car is put away on my hoist but I will try to get at it and post some pics here this weekend if I get a chance.

Points to ponder...  I have read the opinions of some that the Avanti amp meter is not a bypass meter so it gets full charge current while the car is running. I have never had an issue with that, even when I had to jump start with a dead battery.  The needle threw hard to the right for a few minutes but never "pegged" and eventually came back down as it slowly charged the battery back up.  I will dive into my wiring diagrams this weekend and get back to you on this issue.  Also, I have never had the "problem" of the alternator needing to be revved up before it starts to provide a charge.  When my engine is hot it starts without setting the choke and settles at about 700 rpm right away. The amp meter immediately shows it charging '+' and then settling back to '0' after a couple of minutes.

Time to take a breath...:wacko:

Later...

Thanks for any and all info on this subject Norm:)...I ask because I purchased one of those Toyota alternators a few years ago as a back-up for my '63 Avanti's original Prestolite alternator.....The thing is the Prestolite is still working fine, and I've since misplaced the 'how to' instructions of converting to the Toyota alternator if and when I ever need to!.......Ed

I am thinking about adding A/C to the system, because it is an R2 it will have to be electric, and an electric condenser, I don't even think the old 40amp system will support it, I'm wondering if the 60amp will or not.

Rick

20181204_163438.jpg1.jpg

20181204_163430.jpg1.jpg

If you have power steering I might be more inclined to go with electric PS and install a modern compact AC pump where the PS pump is. I expect the 60 amp alt would handle the PS system but don't know what the power requirements of electric AC would be. How about one of those evaporative things that mount in the window?

I would attach a couple of pics of my wiring setup but I am not allowed to post any more than 160K now.

Edited by StudeNorm

A quick look at Google indicated a compressor sized for your Avanti draws 50 amps. I'm not sure what start up amps are but a 60 amp alternator doesn't seem like enough output to me. The cost of a unit sized for your Avanti would run about $1500 for the compressor and controller.

You can also try Googling for Studebaker R2 with A/C as I know there are at least a couple out in the wild. Here's a start from Bob Johnstones website .

http://www.studebaker-info.org/PDF/AIR/r2air.html

If these don't light your fire, think about Norm's idea of electric power steering.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:31 AM, StudeNorm said:

If you have power steering I might be more inclined to go with electric PS and install a modern compact AC pump where the PS pump is. I expect the 60 amp alt would handle the PS system but don't know what the power requirements of electric AC would be. How about one of those evaporative things that mount in the window?

I would attach a couple of pics of my wiring setup but I am not allowed to post any more than 160K now.

That's another idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Norm

On 12/18/2018 at 9:05 AM, Avanti83 said:

A quick look at Google indicated a compressor sized for your Avanti draws 50 amps. I'm not sure what start up amps are but a 60 amp alternator doesn't seem like enough output to me. The cost of a unit sized for your Avanti would run about $1500 for the compressor and controller.

You can also try Googling for Studebaker R2 with A/C as I know there are at least a couple out in the wild. Here's a start from Bob Johnstones website .

http://www.studebaker-info.org/PDF/AIR/r2air.html

If these don't light your fire, think about Norm's idea of electric power steering.

That's what I thought too, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I just wasn't googling the right questions