74 400 ci egr

Skip Lackie

This is really a Chevy engine issue.  Have a 74 Avanti with the original 400 ci small block.  Intake manifold casting number is 360261, which is listed as being common to several years of both 350 and 400 engines with a 4-bbl.  The car is registered as an antique, so it is no longer subject to emissions inspections.  Would like to remove the dead Rochester EGR valve and block off the holes in the intake.  Bought a Mr Gasket EGR block-off plate listed to fit all Chevy small blocks 283-400.  It's triangular with two mounting holes -- but the intake on my engine takes an EGR with a rectangular base (about 2" x 1.75") that is held on by a separate single-bolt clamp.  Checked other aftermarket catalogs and they all seem to show the smaller triangular block-off plates.  Anyone know of a source for a rectangular block-off plate for my intake?

3 minutes ago, Skip Lackie said:

This is really a Chevy engine issue.  Have a 74 Avanti with the original 400 ci small block.  Intake manifold casting number is 360261, which is listed as being common to several years of both 350 and 400 engines with a 4-bbl.  The car is registered as an antique, so it is no longer subject to emissions inspections.  Would like to remove the dead Rochester EGR valve and block off the holes in the intake.  Bought a Mr Gasket EGR block-off plate listed to fit all Chevy small blocks 283-400.  It's triangular with two mounting holes -- but the intake on my engine takes an EGR with a rectangular base (about 2" x 1.75") that is held on by a separate single-bolt clamp.  Checked other aftermarket catalogs and they all seem to show the smaller triangular block-off plates.  Anyone know of a source for a rectangular block-off plate for my intake?

Well, you could try what I did, ...using the base of your rectangular egr valve as a pattern, fashion a 'home made' egr block off plate out of 1/8" mild steel...not too big of a deal really!:)