I started a thread for my Avanti II recently as a 1967. Help pls

Dagoneit

I recently started a post thread for my Avanti II thinking it was a 1967 (when first Titled) model just to find it was actually built in 1965 based on the early VIN. Also,  the Engine Code Suffix seems to indicate it is a 1962 327  Crate Motor. The body was made with panels and bonding strips. The front is tagged Avanti II but the Steering Wheel Horn Button just says "Avanti" and the top of the rear seat back has the Studebaker "S" symbol. It is a 4 Speed with a Hurst Shifter. Members I have been conversing with suggest that I move the thread to the non Altman group. Any feedback please on if I should and how to move it. PS- Car will be put on Ebay soon with No Reserve and shirt videos on Youtube. Thanks.

Edited by Dagoneit
Misspellings

Chevy engine codes are sometimes hard to decipher.  It's really easy to get it wrong when decoding them.  There were so many engine plants...so many years of production, different power levels and vehicles they went into it gets bewildering.  It's also possible your car was re-engined at some point in its life.  The only way to determine if your car has its original engine is to obtain a copy of the build sheet from Nostalgic Motors...Avanti Motors recorded the engine number on it.

Your car received a Studebaker Avanti steering wheel and center cap.  Avanti Motors simply added a woodgrain circular sticker over the "Studebaker" name around the outer edge of the center cap.  When Nate Altman and Leo Newman purchased the rights to the Avanti from Studebaker it included everything...rights to the car...parts inventory...everything.  Outside of the engine and a few other items your car is completely made up of leftover Studebaker Avanti parts.  Even the "II" in Avanti II was a leftover Studebaker part...it was from the Lark VIII with the "II" clipped off and chromed over.  If you look at it closely you can see it's a different style of script from the Avanti script...it's peaked where the Avanti script is flat.  

The emblem between the rear seats...same thing...it's leftover from Studebaker and was simply added to new production.  At some point it was still used but covered over with vinyl or leather from whatever interior fabric was used...my '70 is like that.  

I'm thinking your Hurst 4-speed was done later...it wasn't until the late '60s that Hurst made a shifter for the Avanti...possibly at the urging of Nate Altman.  Avanti Motors would have used the 4-speed shifter Studebaker used which would have been part of the parts package in the sale to Nate Altman by Studebaker.  The Hurst from all accounts is a superior shifter compared to the original and aren't that easy to come by.  It's also possible someone engineered a Hurst shifter to the original linkage making it somewhat of a hybrid.  

Your car is an Altman era Avanti.  You have it in the proper group.

As stated, your car/post is in the correct section.  It is a N&A Avanti, not a Studebaker Avanti.  I was confused because the 1965 models are not specified/included in the grouping where they should be.