Newbie owner of RQA - 0209

The Driven Man

Hello All,

I've never had an Avanti before, but I just bought RQA-0209. She has a 4 speed and a/c. She is currently White but was originally green. Body is very sound and mechanicals are respectable and getting better.  Interior is pretty presentable and appears to be mostly original. Frame needs love.

Honestly I never had any interest in Avanti's before last week, but when I gained a little education on them and saw this one with a 327 and a 4-speed it piqued my interest. Upon examining the car I was excited about the interior design and many of the other stylistic touches with the door handles, quarter windows and trunk lid hinges.

I look forward to learning from experienced owners.

I will have plenty of questions I'm sure. One of the first things I need to find is the rear bumper. The previous owner stated when he first bought the car he left the bumper blade leaning up against his garage door when he first brought home the car, and someone stole it from in front of his garage that night.

I live in Middle Tennessee. Just wanted to say hi for now.

IMG_20181115_122007665_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181117_152748578_HDR.jpg

WOW!....yet another 'new' Avanti on the scene.....and this one with a 4-speed to boot!  (quite rare)

I do have an extra rear bumper blade that needs straightening and rechroming ,if you can't find one closer to where you live let me know.

Best of luck with this very nice looking Avanti ll!

3 hours ago, studegary said:

Those early Avanti IIs are pretty much Studebaker Avantis with a Chevrolet engine.  Rear bumpers are available, including newly reproduced and chromed ones from Classic Enterprises.

Classic Enterprises sells unchromed ones Gary?:huh:

58 minutes ago, mfg said:

Classic Enterprises sells unchromed ones Gary?:huh:

That is not what I said.  It states that the bumpers are "newly reproduced and chromed ones".  That means that they reproduced them and sell them with new chrome.  IF I stated " newly reproduced ones and chromed ones", that would mean that both cases were available.    

EDIT:  A direct quote from a CE ad; "Our newly stamped and beautifully chromed Avanti bumpers..."  This is pretty much the same as what I initially posted.   

Edited by studegary

5 hours ago, studegary said:

That is not what I said.  It states that the bumpers are "newly reproduced and chromed ones".  That means that they reproduced them and sell them with new chrome.  IF I stated " newly reproduced ones and chromed ones", that would mean that both cases were available.    

EDIT:  A direct quote from a CE ad; "Our newly stamped and beautifully chromed Avanti bumpers..."  This is pretty much the same as what I initially posted.   

No Gary, you implied that Classic is selling reproduction Avanti bumpers with chrome plating OPTIONAL!....and that, obviously, is a little bit silly!:wacko:

(You need to re-read your original, not you doctored, text!:))

7 hours ago, mfg said:

No Gary, you implied that Classic is selling reproduction Avanti bumpers with chrome plating OPTIONAL!....and that, obviously, is a little bit silly!:wacko:

(You need to re-read your original, not you doctored, text!:))

I didn't "doctor" my initial post as your quote of it proves.  My only edit was to add the CE ad information showing that they use the same wording.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:17 PM, studegary said:

My only edit was to add the CE ad information showing that they use the same wording.

Once again, love that FOUR-SPEED!!:)

Edited by mfg

Congrats on you're new purchase! I have a 66. What size tires do you have on the back- they look pretty meaty. 

Dan

Congratulations to "The Driven Man". 

I remember seeing a Craigslist ad for that car several years ago, before I bought my '63.  If it weren't so far away from So Cal, I might have bought that one instead of the one I did.

I look forward to hearing what the overall condition is and what you've got in mind to do.

Ken 

What parts of the frame need work? The lower plate may still be available from Dan Booth at Nostalgic Avanti, the rear tubular cross member is available from Don Simmons at Silvertone Exhaust in Ontario Canada.  Welcome to the World of Avanti !!   Lou Cote