Distributor Shielding

Lou Van Anne

A car made of metal has natural radio frequency interference damping qualities...fiberglass doesn't.  Fiberglass cars required shielding around the causes of the RFI...distributor, coil, spark plug wires and spark plugs.  Other causes such as voltage regulators would receive filters added on.  Once radios were available with adequate filters built in, the shielding was no longer necessary.  

I know the shielding in Corevettes with HEI ignition was no longer sheet steel boxes but a polymer casing that snapped in and had a heavy-duty aluminum foil-like sheet inside which served the purpose.

36 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

A car made of metal has natural radio frequency interference damping qualities...fiberglass doesn't.  Fiberglass cars required shielding around the causes of the RFI...distributor, coil, spark plug wires and spark plugs.  Other causes such as voltage regulators would receive filters added on.  Once radios were available with adequate filters built in, the shielding was no longer necessary.  

I know the shielding in Corevettes with HEI ignition was no longer sheet steel boxes but a polymer casing that snapped in and had a heavy-duty aluminum foil-like sheet inside which served the purpose.

I was told my '79 has HEI ignition....I'm looking for one of those AM/FM radios with "adequate filters built in"....can anyone recommend a current production unit that will cure the problem....I've been into two auto audio stores.....they don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.... a two knob unit that fits the Avanti will be required.....(I've had no luck, so far, in eliminating the static that arose after a professional tuneup.....).

7 minutes ago, Lou Van Anne said:

I was told my '79 has HEI ignition....I'm looking for one of those AM/FM radios with "adequate filters built in"....can anyone recommend a current production unit that will cure the problem....I've been into two auto audio stores.....they don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.... a two knob unit that fits the Avanti will be required.....(I've had no luck, so far, in eliminating the static that arose after a professional tuneup.....).

If you didn't have static before your tune-up, but had it after, it isn't your radio's fault.  Either something was done incorrectly, incorrect part(s) were used and/or something was left out. 

37 minutes ago, studegary said:

If you didn't have static before your tune-up, but had it after, it isn't your radio's fault.  Either something was done incorrectly, incorrect part(s) were used and/or something was left out. 

That's my suspicion too....but I've had no luck in tracking down the issue...did you see my SDC post detailing the exact parts used....?

14 minutes ago, Lou Van Anne said:

That's my suspicion too....but I've had no luck in tracking down the issue...did you see my SDC post detailing the exact parts used....?

No.  I do not know where to find that in the multitude of posts that you have started related to this issue on the two forums.  

28 minutes ago, studegary said:

No.  I do not know where to find that in the multitude of posts that you have started related to this issue on the two forums.  

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?108696-Avanti-Radio-Static-Modern-Radios Yup, I suppose many are tired of seeing my posts on this issue as I am sick of posting 'em too!....still searching!  Took the issue to an auto audio store.....they couldn't help.....just wanted to sell me some new speakers(which it needed anyway).....

2 minutes ago, Lou Van Anne said:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?108696-Avanti-Radio-Static-Modern-Radios Yup, I suppose many are tired of seeing my posts on this issue as I am sick of posting 'em too!....still searching!  Took the issue to an auto audio store.....they couldn't help.....just wanted to sell me some new speakers(which it needed anyway).....

That is a link to one of your threads, but not one where you list the work done and parts used.

7 minutes ago, Lou Van Anne said:

Okay.  That link got me to the information.  I am not familiar with those exact parts and I do not have the time to research them.  It may be incorrectly grounded or improperly placed shielding, but you should notice a change in static with a change in engine rpm.  Perhaps they disturbed some other wiring or ground while the car was being worked on.  Do you have shielding over the plug wires as well as the distributor?  If not, it could be those plug wires.    

7 minutes ago, studegary said:

Okay.  That link got me to the information.  I am not familiar with those exact parts and I do not have the time to research them.  It may be incorrectly grounded or improperly placed shielding, but you should notice a change in static with a change in engine rpm.  Perhaps they disturbed some other wiring or ground while the car was being worked on.  Do you have shielding over the plug wires as well as the distributor?  If not, it could be those plug wires.    

Thank You Sir....no change with rpm changes.....according to their web site the wires are the res. type.....they rechecked the shields and I double checked them. Thinking of looking for a new shop and starting over.....