Distributor Shielding

Lou Van Anne

9 hours ago, Lou Van Anne said:

I know of a (Cancun, 2003?), Avanti, a 90 4dr and an 87 that do not use shielding to prevent radio static...all three have fiberglass bodies....how is this possible? (I hoping there is a AM/FM radio available that does not required the shielding).....is that possible?

I bought a 1987 new and do not remember those details (the radio worked).  A 1990 Avanti does not have a fiberglass body.  A Cancun Avanti is Ford based (2005-2007) and the fiberglass is applied over most of the original steel body (even the Firebird ones have the fiberglass over the steel structural elements.  

EDIT:  I believe that all of the later Avantis have a steel firewall and not a fiberglass firewall.  This probably provides enough shielding for the radio, in the dash just behind the firewall, from the distributor (especially a rear engine distributor mount one).  

Edited by studegary
clarification

Lou

There have been several of these posts on both forums recently and,I think, that any number of us are running around in Avanti's without distributor shielding and enjoying radio reception. Even if some are having interference issues, it's not necessarily the distributor. Alternators, wiring and any number of factor could also cause these issues.

If I were unsure about what to install, I'd ask around my area for a recommendation on good audio installers, take my car to them and let them look it over and recommend a system.

My guess is 1) They have ways to measure interference 2) Have experience with installations of this type 3) Have a selection of radios at hand 4) Will work to resolve interference issues if they crop up.

Ask around, I'll bet someone locally will make you happy.

And lastly, if you live further from civilization than me and want to do it yourself, call Crutchfield. They are big and have had experience with Vette's and other cars. If it doesn't work, send it back, they like Best Buy and most large stores have excellent return policies.

Edited by Avanti83