Tire sizes

DaveB

I will be looking for tires for my 72, the tires on right now are about 20 years old from the last owner.  Presently the size is 215/70/15.  How wide can I go in the rear and front?  I have Magnum 500 wheels.

I would stick with the size you have.  Much wider in the front and you could have clearance issues...taller could be the same if your coil springs have compressed with age.  You can go bigger in the rear with wider wheels but you really won't gain anything substantive.  I have P215/70R15 tires on my '70 and have no complaints with them at all.  

The Magnum 500 wheels...if factory...are 15"x5" and going much wider on the can cause funny wear patterns.  

2 hours ago, Stacey said:

I just went to 17 inch wheels on my convertible and wider tires

DSC01474.JPG

That is an apples and oranges comparison.  Your 1991 has a completely different body including fenders that stick out much further from the rest of the body than on the earlier models.  In other words, your wheel opening to tire sizing ratio is different.    

Ya know I never looked or measured but I think your correct, mine does appear to be more flared. I wanted to fill the openings with as much tire as I could.