Corvette

schuyler

So, I go to many local shows with my 1963 Avanti. I tend to be the only Avanti there and I tend to be the Avanti history teacher. I get many questions about the Avanti (63-64) verses the Avanti II. One that always comes up is the "Corvette" engine in the Avanti II. If I read right the GM engine in the Avanti II is a 307 C.I. If that is the case Corvette never had a 307 C.I. So, is the Avanti II engine just a GM passenger car engine and not Corvette? Thanks for facts on this issue.

The Avanti II never used the 307 engine...it used the Corvette 327/300hp engine from 1965 until 1970 when it shifted to the Corvette 350/300hp engine.  Within a couple of years it shifted to the 400 non-Corvette small block Chevy undo eventually used the 350 again and the 305.  The 307 was never a factory Avanti engine.

I still have fond memories of my 1972 Avanti II, with the factory 400 c.i. small block Chevy engine. Seems like I was always fixing something on the car....but, man, when it was on the road, it could scare the crap out of you. Very fast off the line, and very quick winding. That Chevy 400 engine really moved the fairly heavy Avanti II along. But, predictably, all this horsepower. and torque really made the car's rear end want to get sideways on you. John

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, Jolly-John said:

I still have fond memories of my 1972 Avanti II, with the factory 400 c.i. small block Chevy engine. Seems like I was always fixing something on the car....but, man, when it was on the road, it could scare the crap out of you. Very fast off the line, and very quick winding. That Chevy 400 engine really moved the fairly heavy Avanti II along. But, predictably, all this horsepower. and torque really made the car's rear end want to get sideways on you. John

I agree with your thoughts here!.....I remember that I felt ( the time I drove a stock '73 400CI Avanti ll, RQB1967)....that the car would "run away" from a stock R2 Studebaker Avanti off of the line......maybe not at the top end, but "out of the gate" that '73 really moved out!:o