Wiring to radio

Cbitz233

That's a strange/vague question. Are you looking for the power/antenna/speaker connections of a suitable replacement radio? Any replacement radio will likely have different connections than your current radio.

....EDIT 10/11/2018: I think I see now that I interpreted your question wrong, you are looking for wiring info for the stock 1983 radio.

Since you already have a post asking how to remove the radio, I assume your radio has issues? Perhaps it could be repaired. Or is there some other reason you wish to replace it?

My advice: First find a radio that fits into the dash (that's the tough part, particularly the space available for the radio face/knobs), then you may be able to find info on the internet about the connectors on the back of that model radio, and then find suitable male/female connectors that will accommodate the wires needed to make those connections for the chassis plug(s) from your old radio to the new radio. You might want to consider splicing into the old chassis harness without cutting the harness connectors off, or better yet, find connectors that will plug to the old chassis harness connectors, even if it is wire-by-wire, so that you can make your own adapter harness to mate the old chassis harness connector(s) to the new radio, and thus be able to convert back at some future time if need be. I did that when I replaced the radio in my Jaguar XJS a few years back.

An alternative is to mount a modern radio in the glove compartment or the trunk, and resolve the harness issues for those locations. I suspect there may also be vendors offering radio systems where the controls are in a hand-held device and the radio itself is hidden somewhere in the car.

I used a Blaupunkt Frankfurt in my '71, but that was many years ago and there were numerous iterations/models of the old Frankfurt, commonly used in Mercedes & Porsche (and perhaps BMW and VW as well) back in the sixties and seventies; further complication is that Blaupunkt made European and US versions. Since they are original to those European collector cars, they are quite pricey these days, especially in good working order. I also own an '80 Avanti, and it also, I think, uses a Blaupunkt radio that was likely original to the car. I don't have an '83 Avanti, so I am not familiar with what radio was used that year.

Here is an eBay search link for Blaupunkt Frankfurt radios https://is.gd/qOqos3  ...note that there are variations and that nice working examples are expensive

Here are several sellers offering older-style radio configurations, but with modern improvements (I haven't used their products so I cannot vouch for their quality); you can likely find more such sellers on the 'net, and if you search those sites, they probably show info about the connectors on their radios...

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/studebaker-radios.html

https://www.streetrodhq.com/dept/Radio.html

Edited by WayneC
I think I misinterpreted the poster's question in my reply