Steering column?

Cbitz233

I'm changing my exhaust manifolds on my 83 avanti. Was a real b!$%@ to get the last bolt, closest to the cab, off. Now that I'm thinking about it...im wondering how in the heck am I gonna get the new bolt in and if I do how I can get my torque wrench in. Something that I'm assuming goes to the power steering or steering period is blocking it. It's directly under the brake booster. Does anyone know what this is called exactly? 

I believe that you are referring to the "rag joint" coupler of the steering column.  Looking at the clearance on my '78, it would seem that there would be enough clearance to get the bolt in.  If not, simply put the bolt in the hole of the manifold before you put the manifold into place.  As far as tightening, you may need to use a box end crowfoot (pictured)or some such adapter.  Obviously, it will affect the reading of your torque wrench, but it is simple math to calculate the new value.

PICTURE DELETED DUE TO ATTACHMENT LIMITS

Edited by Jim78

Jim78 is right on with his suggestion but I'll share an "old guy" tip. Tighten several of the nuts to spec and then take a box end wrench and feel the force necessary to move them slightly. Use that same feel on the nuts you can't get a torque wrench on. I highly recommend using the torque wrench but I've hit a few over the years I just couldn't get one on. Close enough on external parts but never on internal engine ones.

Look at your manifold gaskets, there should be a "hook" shape to the bolt holes so you can mount the manifold and then drop the gaskets over the bolts. If the bolt hole of perfectly round cut a slot to let you do that. Makes the install much easier.