Vent Window Handle Repair

tcgoesch

Both of the vent window handles on my car do not pull the window in tight against the seals. This contributes to a large amount of wind noise above 40 mph. It appears the handles have worn in a way that they are now further away from the glass and separator than designed. Is there any way to repair these parts? it appears there is a small dowel pin that retains the handle. From the Avanti parts book, it looks rather simple to pull the pin and the whole assembly will come apart. From those pictures, it looks like there are two pins that may ride in a groove in the handle that pulls the window in tight against the seals. I could not find replacement handles - is there another way to fix this besides putting a shim behind the handle on the separator?

1 minute ago, studegary said:

New 1963-1964 Avanti vent window handles (not assemblies) are in SI's catalog (pg. 73). 

Just popped up when I was answering so that's all good. I'd bet Nostalgic Motors or Myers would also have them.

Also check to see if the pin on window frame is bent forward. The drivers side on my 74 was that way. The downside, I would think you would need to pull the glass to straighten it. Just to much danger of cracking the glass otherwise.

I took a better look at the pin. It appears to have loosened from its bracket. Looks like it needs to be re-welded. I will remove the glass then the frame from door to see if I can weld it back together