Sealed R2 Carb!

mfg

Last week I noticed a fine gasoline spray discharging from the carb accelerator pump area on my '63 R2......NOT GOOD!!:o

I've read that the Edelbrock "marine carburetor accelerator pump seal" (Summit catalog # 1471) is a good replacement for a worn out factory accelerator pump shaft seal, which was used in the sealed Carter AFB carbs. (Avanti R2 types)

I ordered and installed that seal last Saturday, and 'booted' the car around quite a bit between Saturday & Sunday.....I can report no leaks whatsoever...and I'm happy with the 'fix'!:)

However, I completely understand why Studebaker-Granatelli decided to encase the whole carb in a sealed box on the even higher pressure R3 engines!!

(Since they used a sealed box on the '57-'58 Golden Hawks with success, I've always thought that it was a step backward  Studebaker decided to go with a sealed carb and 'air bonnet' on their Avanti R2 engines:huh:????)

Edited by mfg

PS....The Edelbrock marine kit comes with a new accelerator pump....however, when I tried to use it I found it was not the same length as the original...which I then ended up re-using.

Didn't really matter,...it was the special marine pump seal that did the trick for me!:)

Although that marine seal has fixed the gas leak issue, I want to mention I'd be interested in purchasing an original (or repo) 'Stude style' R3 aluminum carburetor 'air box' should anyone have one laying around they don't intend to use.

9 hours ago, arkus said:

you missed it ed, put one on stude swap page at midnite a couple of days ago, it went the next morning. sorry

I'm happy for you that it sold so quickly!.......An air box really isn't a "must have" for my Avanti, still, if I do  get a chance to purchase one I'd grab it!:)

• 11 months later...