info search

arkus

trying to learn anything i can about the '87 i just purchased. a search in the 2018 membership book turned up a mention for a 51 page "1987-1989 coupe, convertible, lsc wiring diagram" author unknown but available from a guy in las vegas for $5.00. unfortunately the info was in issue #112, 18 years ago! nothing jumped bout of the internet.  i'm guessing someone here who has or had an '87 would either still have a copy or perhaps know where one would be available. (i'm willing to pay more than 5 bucks!) thanks for any help.

I emailed Lowell McGann about that wiring manual and he replied that he will look for any extras he may have, but the one original, most likely went with the car when he sold it.  That would have taken a lot of time/effort to compile and made a great contribution.

• 3 weeks later...

referring to the first post, i contacted peter king who wrote the initial article in issue #112. peter, being a very nice guy and friend of avanti, dug thru all his memorabilia and came up with his copy. he graciously sent it to me and gave me the ok to reproduce it and share with others. it is 46 pages of wiring diagrams with a few more pages of general tips, virtually a wealth of information for anyone owning a kelly/cafaro avanti.  i had a few copies made at just under $7.00 each. peter's cost to send his copy to me was $2.89. i assume the mailing cost would be similar thruout the lower 48 so i'll forward a copy to anyone who wants one for 10 bucks, sent to george perry, po box 203, east wallingford, vermont 05742. 

i should have mentioned that i'm returning peter's copy to him together with some "good old" vermont maple syrup as a token of my appreciation for his generosity. thanks peter!

9 hours ago, arkus said:

i would doubt it, the '91 is, as i understand it, a quite different animal. could yours be for sale? 

I guess that I do not know how you define "quite different."  Sure the body is different, but the topic is the wiring.  The 1987 and 1988 models are based on the Monte Carlo and the 1989 to 1991 models are based on the Caprice.  I would think that the chassis and wiring would have more similarities than differences.   

10 hours ago, arkus said:

i would doubt it, the '91 is, as i understand it, a quite different animal. could yours be for sale? 

I just bought it last December from a fellow in San Jose, Ca that had owned it for 24 years. I suppose everything is for sale but had not given it any thought. Feel free to contact me at weighit@gmail.com

according to john hull's book "avanti, the complete story", mr. hull interviewed gary fielding in june of 1990. mr. fielding was a vice president of avanti and indicated there was very little if anything carried over from the 1989 convertible to the then prototype 1991 convertible. i would surely agree the wiring would have similarities, both cars undoubtably having parts lifted from their chevrolet doners.  i'd hesitate to rely on an '87 schematic to try and figure out a '91 car but it probably wouldn't be a bad place to start.

12 hours ago, arkus said:

according to john hull's book "avanti, the complete story", mr. hull interviewed gary fielding in june of 1990. mr. fielding was a vice president of avanti and indicated there was very little if anything carried over from the 1989 convertible to the then prototype 1991 convertible. i would surely agree the wiring would have similarities, both cars undoubtably having parts lifted from their chevrolet doners.  i'd hesitate to rely on an '87 schematic to try and figure out a '91 car but it probably wouldn't be a bad place to start.

I believe that they were referring to the body.  It is completely different, even though it appears similar to the untrained eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to below mail conversation, I would say that there is hope ?

Från: John Hull <avantifromct@aol.com>
Skickat: den 23 oktober 2018 19:54
Till: jwikstro@hotmail.com
Ämne: Re: 1987 partsbook -shopmanual
As u probably know the 1987 Avantis started life as Chevrolet Monte Carlos
I would purchase the appropriate GM parts book and repair manuals for that car
I do have the 1987 Avanti Electrical and Wiring Diagram manual from Avanti
I also have the build sheet and sales invoice for your vehicle
I would need the last four digits of your VIN
If interested in any or all I can quote prices exclusive of postage
Regards