Fuel tank sending unit

geb

It's been years since I installed mine but, as I recall, the 'arm' indeed points toward the passenger side of the car.  I believe there are only five screws holding it in place and, if so, there is only one orientation wherein the arm would swing freely and not hit the sides of the tank.  And, I seem to recall there may be different spaces between the screw holes and, again, if so, there is only one way the unit could go.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Mel, That makes sense.  What made me question it was the picture in the parts manual.  The float faces the rear but I guess that was for illustration purpose.  I didn't check the hole position.  As soon as it cools down I'll give it a try.  Thanks again.

Two years ago, I pulled and reconditioned my tank.  There are 2 baffles giving three compartments, the center one being largest . The  sender placement hole being located in the middle  compartment, but not centered.  It's closer to the filler tube.  If you have the tank out, then  installing the sender ( with the filler on your right) with the float at 6 o clock and rotating the sender so the float would be around 7:30 to 8 o clock, would give you the most action.  If you have the old float, emulate any bend it had.    If installing a new float, you can trim the action lever as short as you want, but if the float is submerged on full tank,  the gauge will show full for a long time after a refill

Her's a pic of the tank

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Gastank/Avantigastank/avgastank.html

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, geb said:

Thanks Mel, That makes sense.  What made me question it was the picture in the parts manual.  The float faces the rear but I guess that was for illustration purpose.  I didn't check the hole position.  As soon as it cools down I'll give it a try.  Thanks again.

Thanks Silver Stude.  Great tip on copper washers.  It may explain why there were 3 ground wires off of wiring harness.

3 hours ago, Dan S said:

Do you have to drain the tank of gas before changing the fuel sending unit?

No.  I had the tank out for cleaning, sealing etc and bought a new sending unit when I put the tank back in.  The car had sat since the 90's.