Beginner Questions

VtMike

New guy here again . . .  and I have a heck of a lot to learn the Avanti, so I have questions.

I read that the Avanti is not well balanced . . . heavy in front and light in the rear, leading to cornering and wheel spin problems.  BMW has been putting batteries in the trunk forever.  Aside from concerns re: keeping a car original, any reason that wouldn't be possible in an Avanti?  It wouldn't that much weight, but might help a little . . .

Also, I read that AC wasn't available in supercharged models because it wouldn't fit under the hood.  It seems that would be a problem someone would have solved in the years since 1963?  I would love to have a supercharger but really need my AC these days.

Thanks,

Mike

Everything is possible with money! I've seen batteries in the trunk, so it should be straight forward, and with the Sanden compressors, it should be possible to add AC, though you may need to fabricate your own brackets. I'd suspect you'd want to remove the surge tank and place the compressor there, but of course you would need to ad an overflow bottle.

An Avanti does have a front weight bias...most cars do but the Avanti's is more than most.  You get used to it...it's not dangerous...but you learn the car's limits.  What I've done is keep four pounds less air pressure in the rear tires than the front...it helps but by no means does it eliminate the weight bias.  Adding to the issue is Avanti front coil springs tend to compress with age...I would venture a guess that most Avantis extant haven't had the front strings replaced they need it...and some that have had the springs replaced may well need it again.

7 hours ago, sailingadventure said:

I added A/C to my car, It was a lot of work but well worth it.

Avanti engine.JPG

That is a very neat installation.  Since your Avanti is already modified, have you considered going to a dual brake system (for safety)?

That modification is beautiful and very clean. If not mistaken, I think Jon Myers has the brackets for that custom insert. Getting him on the phone is easy, take notes and maybe record his responses as he will talk you thoroughly through with detail and problems.

Mark

On 8/31/2018 at 9:48 AM, VtMike said:

sailingadventure - 

Great looking install on the AC.  Also great looking engine compartment.  Would love to see the rest of the Avanti and hear about other improvements you have made.  

Mike

Here are a few pictures of the car. I`m now going to install electric power steering and I`ll post a thread on how to do it when I finish it. I completely rebuilt the car, Engine, NOS rear Twin Traction Rear axle, wiring, Paint and body repair, I rebuilt the supercharger, and replaced the interior. It also has Real knock off wheels.

DSC04132 - Copy.JPG

DSC04133.JPG

DSC04135 - Copy.JPG

Edited by sailingadventure

Hello VTMike: I own #5255 an Avanti red 1964 R2 with 76K  original miles. the car is automatic trans , PS, TT AM radio (with FM conversion) a   SOLID condition car, with a black interior.

all correct & almost all original with one same color repaint. Absolutely stunning car, everything works, original paint on the hog troughs. The car is located in central VA. I have owned this auto for 10 years. I am intimately familiar with this auto . This car was a National first place winner at Gettysburg, PA in 2011 with many improvements since then! If you or any other Avanti "wannabe" is interested .........call me at 516-640-8074 for a lengthy , honest description!

No Much less........ I spoke to your wife before & told her you can call me up to 6:30 then again after 9PM

looking forward to talkin to ya!!

Fred

Fred -

Still interested and would love to see pictures and learn your asking price.

I live in Vermont but am coming to visit family in Maryland the 1st week of October.  I may be able to come and take a look at the Avanti while I am down there.

Thanks,

Mike

If you would send me your email address I would send you some pics & would discuss my asking price.

I hope you could come to see the car before the Hershey car show starting on the 10th

On 8/29/2018 at 11:36 AM, VtMike said:

I read that the Avanti is not well balanced . . . heavy in front and light in the rear, leading to cornering and wheel spin problems. 

If you think the cars are out of balance, wait until you get to know some the owners!?

Ken Buchanan

• 2 weeks later...

Gee Mike I sent them I don't know what happened. I'll try to get them out again. I did speak to someone about the car, was that you?

Home#: 434-589-2882

cell#: 516-640-8074