A/C Blower Motor Access 1978

Jim78

I need to remove the A/C blower motor on my '78.  I am looking for some guidance on removing the console side panels under the dash.  After removing the front vent panel, I see a nut on a stud that appears to hold the vertical chrome trim on each side.  The outside of the panels is smothered in shag carpet, and I haven't yet located any other fasteners.  Should I be looking for sheet metal screws, or is there something else fastening the panels?

I posted the same question below for my 83. I am still looking how to get to the fan unit. The following is how I got to where I am held up.

Will need to remove sheet metal screws on the two side pieces covered with the rug. Then slide the metal trim up and may expose more screws. This will allow you to open the area.  

Hopefully someone will know how to proceed beyond this. 

Edited by Bill Hanlon

You have to take the front vent panel off first. There should be four screws one at each corner. The bottom two may be shared by the lower console plate, or even hidden under them. Once that is off, the stainless trim on the side of the console can be accessed from inside the side pieces. They should be 3/8" nuts. One near the top, and one near the angle joiner piece. Once that is off, then feel through the carpet and there will be about 5 phillips screws around the perimeter . Once the side panels are off, the whole evaporator needs to be removed. Many people make this easier by slicing the verticle leg of the right console upright so it can be removed. Then there are the electrical connections, and also there are of course the brackets to the dash cross brace. There should be angle brackets on the evaporator case that also have some screws into the floor under the unit. Don't forget the hose drain tube. (remove it) then you can pull the unit to the passenger side foot well. You can further access the evaporator case, and motor from there.

Well, I removed the vertical chrome strip which I found to be fastened by only one stud/nut.  Then after MUCH poking and probing with a pick, I discovered that the right side panel was held on by no less than EIGHT sheet metal screws.  Of course, all of these were deeply buried in the plush shag carpet on the panel. The good news was that the problem with the fan was that some of the insulation around the expansion valve (?) had unwrapped and was touching the squirrel cage fan, preventing it from turning.  Easy fix, and I won't have to remove the fan after all.  You've got to get lucky once in a while.  Needless to say, there are now less than eight screws holding the panel on.