Upgrade 40 amp alternator to 60-80 amps

Devildog

On this 64 that I have been helping my friend, the alternator is stock 40 amp. with electric fuel pump, A/C operating the charge will just stay positive at a fast idle. However, if use headlights, must have high road rpms to keep + charge.  Charging system is responsive, just neg charge if using lights.

Is a voltage regulator adjustment possible ?

Can a similar style alternator with high 60-80 amps be installed     Anyone have suggested model alternator.

Thanks

Joe

Devildog.

Yes the regulator is adjustable.  When I was a teenager; the shop I worked in a a helper (cleaned parts) would adjust generator regulators.  One Saturday a car drove in with a failed charging system.  They did not have a replacement regulator.  The old German owner took the old regulator out; cut the burnt points apart and put the regulator back on the car; it worked and the happy customer left.

On my Avanti with AC etc the ammeter stays at 0 or a little plus any time the engine is over 1000 RPM with everything on; including head lights.

There is also a chance that one of the diodes in the Alternator has failed.

I purchased a rebuilt original 40 am[p alternator from David Thibeault in MA.  978-897-3158.  I believe he also rebuilds them and has available an electronic regulator or can convert your to electronics.

And yes you could install a late model alternator.  Your choice. Check out Bob Johnstone's Studebaker web page at.  http://www.studebaker-info.org/

Ron

I installed a 60 amp from a Toyota in mine. It was a bolt-in and is set up as a one-wire system. I left the old regulator in place and "cleverly" wired the original connections around it so under casual inspection it still looks stock. It was also CASO priced right at $85.00 Canadian.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 1:25 PM, StudeNorm said:

I installed a 60 amp from a Toyota in mine. It was a bolt-in and is set up as a one-wire system. I left the old regulator in place and "cleverly" wired the original connections around it so under casual inspection it still looks stock. It was also CASO priced right at $85.00 Canadian.

Norm, would you by any chance remember what parts store you purchased it from or the application? What about the ammeter?         Chris

I got it from a local auto electric parts supplier called Cooper Brothers here in Edmonton. They took one look at the Avanti unit and buddy walked to the back and came out with the Toyota job. Memory not so good as it used to be but I believe he said around 1985 Toyo. He said this should do the trick. He was right. He didn't check numbers or ask for applications, he just knew his stuff. The mounting holes lined up perfect with the existing brackets.

I had  to swap pulleys and install a jumper on two of the terminals, as per Bob's Studebaker Resources pages, to make it a one wire charger, then reroute the wires from the old regulator so as to retain said reg on the firewall and it was a done deal. I did not do anything to the amp guage circuit. The guage shows fairly high output if I have to crank for a longer than normal time and draw down the battery but it settles down and works as advertised once the batt is back up to charge. It has been in 4 years now with no problems.

I have read about the alternator not energizing until it reaches 1500 or so rpm but have never had that issue occur with this unit. When I start it the ammeter always shows a positive output even if the engine is already warmed up and sits on low idle right away.

Looking at Rockauto it seems like the Camry alts have the correct mounts so you might want to go to your local Autozone or Napa or? and see what they can pull out for you. Good hunting.

Edited by StudeNorm
low rpm energizing insert

I would suggest that you some thought to the wiring that supports the alternator. You are going from 40 Amps to 80 Amps.........is the existing wiring up to handling double the amps if called upon to do so?

In my case I am not beefing the output so that I can drive a huge stereo or anything else. This is what I found.

It is actually 60 amps and it only delivers full amperage when called for. I intentionally ran my battery down to check what was going through the ammeter if the battery was pulled low. When I started the car the gauge showed initial charge at 30 amps, which is not pegged. This dropped fast, about 3 seconds, to 10 amps or so then settled to near zero once the battery came back up. I will never add enough gadgets to the car to draw anywhere near 60 amps while operating it so I am not worried about the wiring being able to handle the full output of the alternator.

If you have a very weak battery or want to use the full output for any other reason then you will need to consider what JLBKY mentioned above.