Voltage Regulator and Radio

ChrisM

A couple of days ago while on the drive's second leg the ammeter suddenly started showing a charge of about 30 amps. Usually it is around 3 or 4, which it dropped to at idle.  Up to speed, back to 30 or so. I hurried home and let it sit. I've driven it twice around the neighborhood since and it reads normal, but the needle glitches frequently. The paint on the regulator blistered. Should I consider the regulator semi-fried and just replace it or could there be something else going on? It was replaced in 2013 according to the car's paperwork.

Second item... The aftermarket radio hasn't worked since I got the car. The fuse block was removed, thoroughly cleaned, connecters brushed and all new fuses installed. The radio appears to not be getting power, no static, lighting etc. Someone mentioned a suppressor on the coil could be bad. I can't find anything on that in the workshop manual or the wiring diagram. Any thoughts?

The power to the radio has a couple of connections along the way to the radio. Either of which may be unplugged.

Aftermarket radios usually have their own fuse...either inline or mounted on or in the radio case itself.  The regulator points could be bad and sticking but you should have the charging system checked to verify.

Dear Chris,

Make sure you have ground to the radio.  I once had a broken ground connection to my power window.  The mechanic was baffled or several days until he remember that the fiberglass body of the Avanti is a good insulator!

Best luck

Paulie

Normally a fluctuating needle will indicate a pooched regulator. This can also spike the voltage of your system and damage some other components but I doubt it in this case. I replaced my alternator with a one-wire 60 amp system from a Toyota. It has a built in regulator, was essentially bolt-in and it looks almost stock.

As the others said, you may have a blown in-line fuse to the radio. Also, as Paulie said, check (ALL) your grounds...

Thanks to all who replied. I took the regulator apart, there is no sign of arcing, burnt wiring, loose connections or solder or anything else I have seen with an electrical failure. I sanded the points, cleaned up all the external connections and reinstalled it. Readings are normal, tho I haven't taken an extended ride... we on the east coast haven't had a lot of clear weather.

As to the radio, so far I can't even see the wire trail from it, my car has AC. The wires disappear, looks like this will be a dash removal to follow them. Not ready to go there.

Thanks, Chris

35 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Thanks to all who replied. I took the regulator apart, there is no sign of arcing, burnt wiring, loose connections or solder or anything else I have seen with an electrical failure. I sanded the points, cleaned up all the external connections and reinstalled it. Readings are normal, tho I haven't taken an extended ride... we on the east coast haven't had a lot of clear weather.

As to the radio, so far I can't even see the wire trail from it, my car has AC. The wires disappear, looks like this will be a dash removal to follow them. Not ready to go there.

Thanks, Chris

Did you try to get to the back of the radio by removing the speaker grill on top of the dash?

Edited by Avanti83