Broken regulator balance spring tab

Devildog

Power window on 64 R1 was suck mid range, could not budge up or down even with hand assist. I checked circuits and could hear relays engaging motor, some slight movement.

Removed regulator and motor assembly as described in Win/Fall 2011 Issue 156 (great article Bill Henderson).

Problem was the tab which hooks the spring broke (pic).  So, I cut a small piece from angle iron and welded it in. This moved hook up 1/2 inch left which would loose some tension on assist spring. However, while trying to hook spring, I broke the 'hook' off end of spring; heated tip and bent another 90° tip 'hook'. This shortened spring 3/4 inch.

IMG_1525.thumb.jpg.6834d9fa9cf20a9955d5207c602d7609.jpg 

I reassemble and installed AFTER cleaning and properly lubrication, not excess but in true pivot and roller points. Make sure get a little grease in the motor bushing with q-tip.

Even though my spring is non-standard, it runs up/down nicely.

HINT: To check if mechanism is binding VS. electrical/motor problem. If mechanism is free and lubed , you can reach through access panel on lower door and  turn the whole regulator system by spinning the phenolic coupling (motor-gear drive) with your thumb and finger. It moves the window a fraction of inch with a few turns. Avoids removing entire regulator assembly to test

Joe

IMG_1522.jpg

Edited by Devildog