I need your old carb!

mtgibby

My Avanti R2 project (2302) came without the carburetor. 

I have been saving my pennies for a while now, waiting to buy a used Carter afb. 

So, if you have a tired R1 or R2 carb on the shelf, or have been waiting to replace yours with a nice, new Edlebrock, today's your day!

Drop me an email at mtgibby@hotmail.com. 

Thanks!

Mike

Next week: I need your R2 aircleaner!

Good luck with that. Last R2 carb I have seen for sale went for over a grand.

Yes, original Avanti R2 carbs are hard to find...however, there are loads of '60-'67 Carter AFB carbs (GM, Chrysler, etc) for sale on e-bay, and most of these are very similar to the AFB's that Studebaker used....the biggest difference is that some have a side fuel inlet as opposed to the front inlet...no big deal, as the new Edelbrock's also have the side fuel inlet.

The question becomes can these older AFB's (or even the new Edelbrock) be calibrated and SEALED to function as a Studebaker Avanti R2 carb would?

I've never made this modification, but in reality it seems that doing this wouldn't be all that hard!.......Comments?

PS...if an Avanti R3 type air box was used, the carb would no longer have to be sealed!:)

Sure, I have made a few sealed carburetor from  non-sealed ones. There won't be the milled air passage to balance throttle shaft sealing. But that is only important if there is lots of wear. I always brass bush the shafts anyways. The vents can be drilled and tapped for set screws easily, and it has no adverse effects.The accelerator pump seal can be used from an Edelbrock marine carburetor. The idle screws can be partially drilled to fit an "O" ring , and a washer under the spring to compress it.

My '63 R2 has the R3 air box. I called Edlebrock for a recommendation of a replacement carb. They advised that since the carb is pressurized the floats in their carbs would collapse. Hmmm... never thought of that. Anyone have an opinion?

Frank

I solder a brass pin through the floats to prevent collapsing.

Edited by brad

You can drill holes in the brass floats, inject some High Density foam inside and solder the holes shut.  Brad's idea is pretty good, so it must work...  I had lined up a task of getting a pair of Holley or whoever  nitrophyl floats and change the mounting hardware to match the Edelbrock, but never got around to doing it.   It's really odd that Edelbrock does NOT make nitrophyl floats...

When I ordered floats from Daytona I very specifically said they were for a pressurized carb. They replied no problem and sent me a set of floats. I installed them a year ago and now I seem to be having float problems. It will be a week and a bit before I get home to work on this issue but we will see then.