Paxton Supercharger Kit from 1988 Avanti

johnny_261

Hello,

We recently bought an 88 Avanti with a Chev 305 and it came with some extra parts.  Included was this supercharger kit (everything is in the attached pics).

The former owner did not have it on the car, so I imagine that it has not be used in several years.  Selling as is.

Looking for reasonable offers.

Thanks for looking.

20180621_144229.jpg

20180621_144208.jpg

Interesting!......This setup would bolt up to any Avanti ll using a carb.....I'm wondering if the supercharger spins with resistance but smoothly, or does it tend to 'ratchet' when the input shaft is turned?

On 7/4/2018 at 11:43 PM, johnny_261 said:

I have it in storage, but I will go check it out.  Anything else I should investigate while I have it out?

The only critical thing is how smoothly (or not) the Paxton supercharger turns.....These ball-drive superchargers, when they were in daily use, were not known for their longevity. :(

"These ball-drive superchargers, when they were in daily use, were not known for their longevity."

Well that's a bummer. Is there a more modern technology supercharger which would work on a 305 or a 350? 

I'm sure it will be more costly than the OP's unit but...

On 7/6/2018 at 11:11 PM, Mistro said:

"These ball-drive superchargers, when they were in daily use, were not known for their longevity."

Well that's a bummer. Is there a more modern technology supercharger which would work on a 305 or a 350? 

I'm sure it will be more costly than the OP's unit but...

A Paxton Novi type would fill the bill (ball drive eliminated, replaced with gearing)...unfortunately they're quite pricey!:(

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys, here are two videos of us spinning it.  It can be turned by hand but is stiff by hand.  Turns fairly easy with a ratchet.

Not sure entirely how free spinning they are stock.

Here are a few more details with the Serial Number.  

20180724_191833.jpg

20180724_191836.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks to be the setup that was factory installed on some '88 Avantis.....Nice of you to post the videos, however, it's difficult to tell whether or not the supercharger is turning smoothly by rotating it from the rear.

If you have the supercharger drive pulley, slide it back onto the input shaft and then spin the supercharger.....the impeller will now be turning 4.4 times faster than the drive pulley, and it will be much easier to determine if the supercharger is healthy or not.

Archived