Door panel

Cbitz233

I'm not sure of an '83 but if it has the same door handles as previous years you need a door handle removing tool to make it easy...its inexpensive and available at most auto repair shops like Pep Boys, NAPA and the like.  You slide it under the handle until it engages the retainer clips and then push.  You can make a screwdriver blade work but the proper tool is the way to do it.  The handle should simply pull off.  The door lock levers have a screw in the center...remove the screws and the lever will pull off.

The door pulls have end caps that will pop off...behind them are screws...remove them and take the door pull strap.  The door has a series of upholstery screws around its perimeter.  Unscrew them and all you need to do the is lift the door panel out and up.  

Again...that's if the '83 is the same as earlier years.  

On 5/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, Cbitz233 said:

Gotta find the tool and then I'll have it off.

tool 300x129.jpeg

Edited by WayneC
reduced size of photo to reclaim space

If you cannot find the "door clip removal tool" locally, you can order one from Studebaker International.  They have it listed on their website for $5.95.

I own an 83 and the procedure Gunslinger outlined is still current for that model.  If you have a remote control mirror on the driver's side you will also have to remove its door panel  hardware but it is all out in the open and rather easy to figure out.  The only difficulty I encountered is there is a directional aspect to how the door handle clips are installed.  One of mine was put on the wrong way and it made it very difficult to remove because the clip removal tool had a clearance problem with the handle and it would not release the clip.  Note the direction of the clips in the handles when you take them off and put them back the same way when you snap on the door handles back on.  You will thank yourself if you ever have to take the door panel off again.  One other thing, if you have the remote driver's mirror, be sure and reinstall the door panel hardware the same way that you took it off or you will end up with a mirror that behaves rather strangely when you move the control level.    

The door handle lock spring looks like an Omega symbol.  The handle shaft has 2 slits cut in the sides for the spring to slide through.  The slits should be parallel with the handle, so using the tool, it's either down from top or up from under the handle 

IIRC, Run the tool parallel to the length of the handle from the long end to where it connects to the door. You will feel it slide into a slot as you jiggle (technical term) up and down and in and out. When you feel it engage just push further until the clip pushes out. Recall there can be a plastic shield between the handle and the door panel so you will need to be sure you try both sides to find the slot.

I'll be gone until Saturday but if you still have issues, I'll post a couple pictures of mine as they are currently off. You could also Google (remove GM interior door handles) of about the same year and I'll bet you'll find pictures.

I've tried everything everyone's explained. It just won't happen. I'm thinking, maybe if I can cut the cardboard out of the inside of the door I can have better access to the clip? It seems maybe the clip is pushed behind the interior door and inside the cardboard. I'm about so close to just saying f it and ripping it out.  (Not really gonna do that)

7 hours ago, Cbitz233 said:

I have the tool now. I've been trying to put it behind the handle and it just won't pop it out. Pretty big pain in my ass

I hope that you realize that pushing the clip will not pop the handle out.  It simply releases the clip's hold on the shaft so that the handle can be pulled off.   

Do you know if you removed/dislodged the wire clip with the tool?  It may be possible a previous owner installed the wire clip from the reverse direction and so the tool is not contacting the open ends of the clip.

Can you push the upholstery panel away from the handle enough to peek behind the handle to see if the wire clip is out/retracted or at least loose? Maybe a small and a flashlight mirror will help you to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvaQlh8If1s

Alternative methods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGVyGDuRdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psYYqQhWY2o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is similar or the same as the gm clips that they use on Corvettes and other gm cars.  If the tool doesn’t seem to work, you can locate the top of the clip and use a paint can opener or a “J” bent strong wire to snag the top of the clip and pull it off!  Be careful to not jerk or pull out hard or it will fly and you may never find it!  This works as well as the tool because the clip often is installed 180 degrees and the tool is working on the wrong side of the clip.  

Used this approach for years on Corvettes, and recently on my 1974 Avanti door handle.