Seafoam to the rescue!

mfg

We had a beautiful day in the Boston area yesterday, so I decided to 'awaken' my '63 Avanti (63R1379) from its winter slumber.......Well, the fact is it ran horrible......more than likely the problem being a gummed up carburetor.

I've heard so many good things about a product called 'SEAFOAM', I decided to give it a try before doing anything else with the carb.

Within about twenty miles the old girl began acting like the great running Studebaker Avanti that I'm used to!......Now, the problem may have cleared up just by driving the car around a bit, and I'm really not a believer in 'snake oil' remedies, however, I must say that there might be something to this product!

(At $11.99 a pint, there better be!!:o)..........Avanti,  Ed

I've found Seafoam to be one of the few that work as advertised. I wish it fixed oil pressure though... those snake oils that increase it, don't fix it though.

A $11.95/pt mix of hydrocarbons and up to 20% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) diluted in up to 15 gallons of gasoline, call me a skeptic at a minimum. I can believe that Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner can help as it has a couple of strong aromatic solvents in it but rubbing alcohol? Meh!!

My guess is running it on good gas for 20 minutes would do the same thing. Mine starts in the spring and run really well after they have a chance to warm up and rid themselves of the grunge that has accumulated in the carb as the fuel has partially evaporated over the winter.

I'll just add $4 to that and bought a fifth of Evan Williams black for later.

1 hour ago, Avanti83 said:

A $11.95/pt mix of hydrocarbons and up to 20% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) diluted in up to 15 gallons of gasoline, call me a skeptic at a minimum. I can believe that Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner can help as it has a couple of strong aromatic solvents in it but rubbing alcohol? Meh!!

X2 on no snake oils.  A friend who was a petroleum chemist for forty years told me, "Those guys buy all their feedstocks from us, put it in small cans and charge way too much.  If it had any value, we could put it in all our fuels and oils for a fraction of a cent instead of $12 a can."

jack vines

Obsolete Engineering Division 

of Mager Engine

Well, call me crazy (I've been called worse!!) but I'm so pleased with the way my supercharged '63 Avanti is running (ran around in it all day yesterday and put several miles on it today) that I just 'invested' another $25 in 'SEAFOAM'! :unsure:

One pint went in my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver', and the other pint I'll use next weekend when I fire up my supercharged '55 President Speedster! :o

If nothing else, this probably beats blowing the coin at Foxwoods! :)

• 1 month later...

I have found Seafoam does a great job on sticky valves in 4 stroke lawn mower type engines. Pour some in the crankcase oil and start the engine, let it run at no-load idle for 10 minutes. Drain completely and replace with fresh oil. If you are out of Seafoam, use kerosene/diesel 50/50 as crankcase oil and do the same. I had a 8hp rototiller that used to skip a beat at high rpms. Turned out it was a valve floating and the Seafoam cleared it right up. It can help clean a carb, also, but at a very premium price. I've not tried kerosene...