Avanti Safety!

mfg

Studebaker offered many of the Avanti's new features on the Lark and Hawk line.....Can anyone name TWELVE 'safety related' Avanti features which were not available on Larks and Hawks?

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

Fully padded dash...recessed controls...fully padded interior...safety cone door locks...gas tank mounted above the rear axle...rear opening hood.

NICE!...of my original twelve you identified the reverse opening hood (with twin dovetail locks), the safety cone door locks, the fuel tank location, the padded interior, with padding even along the edges of headliner.

I don't go along with the 'recessed controls', as the Lark had them.....also a negative on the padded dash, as both the Lark and the Hawk had a version of that!

Six of my original TWELVE safety features exclusive to the Avanti six are still "OUT THERE"!

Edited by mfg

I'm "giving up" two of mine, as I feel they are incorrect and unfair.....they are..........

1) Frame with 'X' member....We know that the Lark convertible and Lark Wagonaire (with sliding roof) had that.

2) Wrap around rear tailights....We know the Lark wagon (Wagonaire) had those.

OK....FOUR features are still 'OUT THERE!' :)

52 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Heavy gauge (!) bumpers with shock absorbing live rubber inserts. 

The exclamation point is mine :D. Boy the ad guys could really lay the BS on thick. 

Yes, I don't think the Avanti's bumpers were any thicker than the GT Hawks bumpers were, although the Avanti's bumpers may actually be a bit thicker than the Lark's!

Anyway, the Avanti's bumpers are A LOT more sturdy than the rubber bumper covers we see on most of today's passenger cars!

20 minutes ago, mfg said:

Yes, I don't think the Avanti's bumpers were any thicker than the GT Hawks bumpers were, although the Avanti's bumpers may actually be a bit thicker than the Lark's!

Anyway, the Avanti's bumpers are A LOT more sturdy than the rubber bumper covers we see on most of today's passenger cars!

What you now see is the bumper COVER, as you state.  The true bumper, behind the cover, is quite sturdy and also designed to absorb some of the impact. 

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

Heavy gauge (!) bumpers with shock absorbing live rubber inserts. 

Was this one you had, Ed? Neither the Larks nor Hawks had "shock absorbing live rubber inserts", and as you note the Lark for sure didn't have "heavy gauge" bumpers. :) 

11 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Was this one you had, Ed? Neither the Larks nor Hawks had "shock absorbing live rubber inserts", and as you note the Lark for sure didn't have "heavy gauge" bumpers. :) 

i did not have this one... I'd guess a GT Hawk's bumpers would be as thick as an Avanti's......However, you score on the rubber inserts!....I didn't have that, and neither did Hawks or Larks!!:D

On 1/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, r1lark said:

No, I didn't have that one.....but it works for me!

The other four which I had are................

1)impact absorbing fiberglass body.

2)Red instrument lighting.

3) Rag joint separating steering box from steering shaft.

4)Shielded headlamps.

23 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Hmmm.........Larks and Hawks had the red lighting in 1964.

YIKES!...OK, I must have been thinking of the '63's!!....fact is, I could use a little 'brush up' on '64 Lark-Hawk facts
I never have owned either of that year....except for a '64 Daytona full package Super Lark (very rusty) which I purchased for the JTS engine that I sold to a friend who wanted to replace the R1 in his '63 Avanti......(Still have the Stude AM-FM that came in that '64 Daytona though!

1 hour ago, mfg said:

YIKES!...OK, I must have been thinking of the '63's!!....fact is, I could use a little 'brush up' on '64 Lark-Hawk facts
I never have owned either of that year....except for a '64 Daytona full package Super Lark (very rusty) which I purchased for the JTS engine that I sold to a friend who wanted to replace the R1 in his '63 Avanti......(Still have the Stude AM-FM that came in that '64 Daytona though!

I guess this is one area where I am a step ahead of you. I have owned several 1964 models, including; four Cruisers, Daytona hardtop, Commander sedan and Hawk, all V8s (plus a 1964 Avanti).

20 hours ago, studegary said:

I guess this is one area where I am a step ahead of you. I have owned several 1964 models, including; four Cruisers, Daytona hardtop, Commander sedan and Hawk, all V8s (plus a 1964 Avanti).

The only '64 Stude I kept for any length of time was a pretty nice 1964 Avanti...........Avanti Red, black interior, R1, automatic......It looked a lot like one of the Allstate 'giveaway' Avantis.

19 hours ago, mfg said:

The only '64 Stude I kept for any length of time was a pretty nice 1964 Avanti...........Avanti Red, black interior, R1, automatic......It looked a lot like one of the Allstate 'giveaway' Avantis.

That is strange, because my 1964 Avanti (5176 IIRC) was also one of the Allstate run.  I don't think that it was a "giveaway" car.  Mine had a color change from red to white before I bought it.    

On 1/19/2018 at 1:00 PM, studegary said:

That is strange, because my 1964 Avanti (5176 IIRC) was also one of the Allstate run.  I don't think that it was a "giveaway" car.  Mine had a color change from red to white before I bought it.    

Wow, R5176?...Mine was/is R5180.....CLOSE!!..................It seems there were many square light 64's built like that...........Avanti Red, Black interior w/woodgrain, R1, Powershift...and mine had manual windows. (which, by the way, I really  favor in Studebaker Avantis!