Fuel Gauge

Stuart Suede

Does anyone have an extra working fuel gauge for sale, or can recommend someone to repair?  I live in Southern California, took the gauge to Redline Gauge Works in Santa Clarita, they said they fixed it but I don't consider the gauge accurate.  I even bought an extra sending unit and aftermarket gauge to diagnose, and it's definitely the original Avanti fuel gauge.  Unfortunately the aftermarket gauge doesn't fit in the instrument cluster, and Redline Gauge Works wants in upwards of $300 to replace the original gauge innards with new workings.  But they did quartz the clock and fixed the vacuum gauge.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks, Stu

The fuel gauge is a bi-metallic strip that is heated to move the needle. The internal heater of the gauge consists of TWO heating elements. One is on constantly, and provides a reference voltage. The second is the variable heater to the strip. It is controlled by the variable resistance of the sending unit. The Ni-Cad resistance wires are very fine, and hooking the gauge up to a full voltage to check out the movement will often times burn one or more of the windings completely up.  NEVER check  gauge by hooking it up to battery voltage. ALWAYS use the sending unit to check them out . I will check to see if I have any spares, but i don't think so. I can't get the proper resistance wire. I can refurbish the face, and even transfer the face to another gauge, but repairing them once they are fried inside is very specialized. 

Kinney-Gauges-1.jpg

Edited by brad

Here is a gas gauge with the face off. Look at the wires finer that a hair.  The lowest the sending unit is supposed to go is 33 ohms, That is enough to limit the current from frying the heating elements.  I could attempt to change over the face of your gauge for $90.  Or, I could change the face off of yours to a Lark style Gauge, and it would be an exact match for resistance and accuracy. I won't know if any are compatible until I get them both here. 

IMG_20180104_164918956.jpg

Hi Brad.  I just bought a Lark gauge on eBay and am waiting for delivery.  What I'd like to do is temporarily remove the original Avanti gauge and install the Lark gauge, then send you the Avanti gauge so you can use your Lark gauge then switch the face to Avanti.  Will that work?

LOL. Sure. Whatever works for you. I will await contact so you can get my shipping address.

Edited by brad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brad.  Removed the original Avanti gauge and am ready to ship to you with payment.  I can ship to you with a check if that's okay with you.  Please provide your full name and shipping address.  Perhaps we should communicate outside this forum - my email is s2suede@yahoo.com

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...