Hog troughs posting by grobb284

rqb3083

This is for grobb284 ...

I sent you the following in your message box, but guess I should have posted it here. So here it is ...

I happened to see an old forum thread that said you had come up with "body mounts" to use instead of replacing hog troughs. There was links to some pics, but they no longer work. I am ready to buy a 73 Avanti II and the hog troughs need to be replaced. As part of the purchase, the owner is going to include a new set of hog troughs. From what I have read, it looks like a lot of work. Is your solution easier, less expensive? I see that Dick Steinkamp gave a thumbs up on your method.

Thanks,

Gene

Yes, this method requires much less installation time. On my stainless frame I directly mounted the body and roll bar. I also designed another method to install an Avanti body to an Avanti frame with a tubular adapter. Gave a copy of the drawing to Fairborn Studebaker to see if he wanted to produce them. He might make them if there is interest. This may better suit your needs.

Replacing hog troughs conventionally is quite an experience.

Edited by grobb284

5 hours ago, grobb284 said:

I also designed another method to install an Avanti body to an Avanti frame with a tubular adapter. Gave a copy of the drawing to Fairborn Studebaker to see if he wanted to produce them. He might make them if there is interest. This may better suit your needs.

Phil at Fairborn Studebaker in Fairborn , Ohio

• 7 months later...

I feel like I have just hit the lottery.  I am in the middle of trying to find someone to replace the hog troughs on my 80 Avanti and can't seem to find anyone.  This option sounds like something very possible especially like the sound o tieing in the frame to the roll bar.  Is it possible to get pictures and information on this method every search I come up with seems to come up as a dead end.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker a week ago and he is proceeding to make some preliminary parts to evaluate. What ever he offers, it will be good. 

The replacements for the torque boxes should be a lot easier to install, and should last longer. 

When we built our frame, we raised the body mounts to similar positions to eliminate the torque boxes. It also permitted us to run the exhaust under the rockers, removing a source of heat under the floors.

Edited by grobb284