Recognize This Car?

murph the surf

Hi...Posting this for a California photographer and fellow car enthusiast,who took this picture in 1974 and has wondered what happened to the car that caught his imagination and fancy back then. It's a long shot without a VIN number,but perhaps an Avanti enthusiast among us may recall a car that was driven by a teacher at Aviation High School in Redondo Beach High School ,where this picture was taken in the school's parking lot,and have some idea where the car is today.He remembers the car being a dark color,not black,but perhaps a dark burgundy.Hopefully,he'll join us at AOAI as an Avanti owner soon.

Avanti-Redondo Beach HS 1974.jpg

Edited by murph the surf

Sorry, I haven't any knowledge of this particular Studebaker Avanti, however the photo reveals some identity 'hints'!................................

1) It's an R1 model

2) The dark colored steering wheel and dash indicates that it's probably a 1964 model.

3) The "dark burgundy" color he remembers was probably 1964 'Avanti Maroon' (P-6336),  a color not available on the 63's.

Being a 1964,and if it was indeed Avanti Maroon,I'm pretty sure not many were produced.

13 hours ago, murph the surf said:

Being a 1964,and if it was indeed Avanti Maroon,I'm pretty sure not many were produced.

Agreed!...."Avanti Maroon' was introduced late in the all-to-brief run of 1964 Studebaker Avantis..... I'm quite sure that the few '64 'transition model Avantis' didn't make the 'Avanti Maroon' cut!

So, a further hint is....That Avanti most likely is a true '64 'square light' model.

Edited by mfg

And the "unusual" side view mirror is another good clue,should anyone have any recollection of the car.Pretty sure that is an Avanti Maroon '64 on our AOAI home page.

Edited by murph the surf