Removing the console?

Stacey

Just recently purchased a 1991 Convertible and the window switches for the rear windows are inop. I would like to pull them out and check to see if it is the switch or the actual rear window motors acting up. One switch is feeling like it could come up and out, but it won't so think if the actual console top could lift I could see what is keeping the switches in. Any help would be great. Thanks

I don't have an answer to your inquiry.  I wanted to congratulate you on getting one of the few 1991 Avantis.  I really like what was done to the body style, particularly at the front.  I bought a 1987 new and have liked the 1991s since they were new.  Good luck with yours.  

Some people think that there were only three to seven made.  Someone advertised one as one of six when the one that he was selling was number ten.  I see that yours is number 12.  I believe that there were 17 1991 Avantis built.  I guess that you did not buy it off eBay because I follow eBay Avantis and haven't seen one, at least lately.  What part of the country are you in? 

If the console is anything like my (former) '88 coupe - it is secured by 4 simple clips at the corners.  Pry from the side-s while pulling from shift boot hole.

I found it on line and it was living for the past 21 years in San Jose, Ca. When I went to inspect, asked when the top was down last, he said at least 10 years ago. The wife drove it mostly, and had a hard time judging the edge of the garage door as both front and rear bumpers are scruffed on the passenger side but not terrible. Interior is very nice, a/c blows cool, not cold, radio speakers in the doors are blown and will be replaced soon.  All the wheels are scuffed and will be replaced as will the tires. They are 8 years or older and still have great tread. The car has 46,000 miles after I drove it the 850 miles back to Az. It is white, maroon interior and top, he said he bought it with right at 6,000 miles. I have spent the past few days cleaning, rubbing out the paint and polishing. Gotthe engine compartment clean and will start pulling things off the aprons so I can clean better.  The old owner said they made 6 convertibles that year but it seems he may have been mistaken?

So far every stop we have made with the car over the past week or so someone walks up and starts talking about it. They either don't know what it is, or know someone who had one, or lived in a town where there was one, or always wanted one. Going to be a lot of fun.  

Edited by Stacey
added text

That "six" number has been floating around.  Even the guy that was selling number ten stated that it was one of six.  All 1991 Avantis were/are convertibles.  I believe that there were 17 1991 Avantis built.  

Well you probably would have taken better care of it.  I guess it really isn't bad, but I know it would have been cleaned and better maintained had I got it originally. But the wife is in love with it and over time I will bring it back to the standard it deserves. Just trying to figure out how it was assembled and how to remove things for fixing or cleaning.

Is there a repair manual printed for these cars that you might know of? I understand the under pinnings are Chevrolet Caprice, but the actual body items are not.

Well, 91's area a rare breed., but the drive train/chassis is 91 Caprice(?).. fuel injected, etc   The body  and interior is a lot of sausage from everyone else.

You might run thru some of these notes on earlier cars.  There has to be some similarity.  I can only archive things that others tell me about.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechdec2017p1f.html#91av