Battery

schuyler

I have a 1963 Avanti ( R-2318). It has  the larger 3EE Battery that is not sealed. Although the battery works fine I want to put a battery "maintainer" on it as the car sits a lot. Will a battery maintainer "boil" the fluid in the battery? Thanks!

A proper maintainer should not boil the fluid.  A trickle charger, low power charger or some cheap things that are called maintainers may cause at least out gassing if not boiling of the fluid.  Of course, with any normal charging, there is a little outgassing.  When the Avanti is going to sit for a long period of time, I recommend removing the battery, cleaning the case (to prevent some loss) and put it on the battery maintainer then.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me skittish, but I've always had reservations about leaving any type of charger or battery maintainer connected to my Avanti while it sits in the garage unattended for days on end!:o

Wow, what a great forum. So much knowledge coming from Avanti aficionados from all over the U.S. Cal. to N.Y., to Texas, to Mass., and to Wash. Thanks

I use a Battery Tender brand as well.  They're designed to kick in when it sense the charge goes below 85% of full.  While you leave them attached it doesn't mean they're actually charging all the time.  

If you use restoration batteries like I do, AGM batteries inside an authentic looking case, you need to use specific chargers designed for AGM batteries.  Using just an off the shelf battery tender for these will in time ruin them, I found out the hard way.  Also if you jump this  type battery with a "hot Box" or boost pack it will ruin them.  It only takes one time.  The Absorbed Glass Matt batteries are great looking and will hold up well but you really need to know what to do and not do with them.  Otherwise I have found they hold up great, look good and you don't have to worry about leaking.  I keep Battery Minder AGM chargers going on my cars all the time.

X2 what Peddler said. I've had a 3EE AGM Battery in my Avanti for many , many years. No problems what so ever. It stays connected to the correct charger when not being driven. Expensive yes, but you will not be disappointed and you'll get many years of trouble free service.