Speedometer & Tach R & R

ChrisM

I am attempting to replace my '63 Avanti tach sending unit and check the tach. Advice from another forum says to remove the tach and speedometer to access the unit. I can't even see all the connections and what holds the instruments in place. What is the secret to removing them? thanks.

You should be able to access the round Avanti tach sender by laying on the driver's side floor & reaching up.....It's held in place with two side screws and nuts...... once you remove these you can turn it over so it's top faces you, and then identify and remove the four tach wires.....It's always good to disconnect battery when working under dashboard!

Chris.........do you have a Parts Book? If not, you should get one. It will show you how the Tach and Speedo are held in place.  As I recall,( it's been 15-20 years since I did this last ) there is a UI shaped bar, on both,  that holds them tight to the dash, with two small nuts. Remove the wiring,  from both, and the speedo cable, and both should come out from the front easily.  With , both out, you can now get both hands in there to remove the sender, change the light bulbs  in the adjacent four gauges, etc..

John

Chris... I'm sure you don't want to do this job again...right? So replace all the red GE 57 incandesnt bulbs with red super bright LED's. As far as that antiquated tach sending unit.

trash it ( you'll have a little more under dash room) and have the tach rebuilt using all new , modern electronics. Costly, yes BUT so much more accurate, reliable & steady while idling.

I had  "D & M restoration" in Greenville, SC.    I did it almost 7 years ago & NEVER a problem!

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:39 PM, JLBKY said:

Chris.........do you have a Parts Book? If not, you should get one. It will show you how the Tach and Speedo are held in place.  As I recall,( it's been 15-20 years since I did this last ) there is a UI shaped bar, on both,  that holds them tight to the dash, with two small nuts. Remove the wiring,  from both, and the speedo cable, and both should come out from the front easily.  With , both out, you can now get both hands in there to remove the sender, change the light bulbs  in the adjacent four gauges, etc..

John

Thanks to all who replied. I've been under there at least a half dozen times and can barely see the back of the tach, much less get my hands there. There is a big cluster of wires running behind it which doesn't help. I just noticed I can see the back of the speedo and should be able to get to it. Maybe then I can get thru its hole to the back of the tach. Whew!