Recent Surface Rust: preferred medium to remove it?

cmholm

Welcome to Yorkshire. Until last winter, I'd never driven in winter salt country, and it took me a month to realize I shouldn't drive my car once they started gritting the roads. What were once basically rust-free nether regions are no longer.

Outside of the oil soaked areas of the engine, trans, and frame, there are scattered areas of light surface rust on the undercarriage, especially the leaf springs. I'm looking to have a shop take their best shot at removing the crap and treat the metal with a coating of some sort. Since I'm not going to remove the body, I believe hosing down the frame and suspension with a blasted media is the preferred route. Given the adjacent fiberglass, I assume sand is out, and I've read the claim that soda won't remove rust.

Should I have someone blast it with walnuts? Or go DIY, bust out the rust converter and spend some quality time on a creeper? What have you had good results with? 

Perhaps I should keep this to myself, but since no one else has replied as of yet...........  I'm seriously thinking don''t even worry about the leaf springs (they were almost made to rust under any other car conditions).  You could possibly spray them with oil  - maybe.

Bill D

• 2 weeks later...

Generally around here, I'll let the blaster suggest what they need to remove the offending material such as paint, rust, undercoating without destroying the substrate. You just need to find the blaster that has a history with cars and not steel tanks. 

Where I would worry most about the rust is inside the frame and hog troughs. Whatever gets in there doesn't come out easily I'll bet most rust issues on these cars starts in there.

Our Canadian brethren in the truck world like to use a rustproofing called Krown which I believe is available in England also. You might want to talk to them about doing the inside of the frame and hog troughs.