Avanti?..Not Quite!

mfg

Today I went to look at an Avanti engine which I was told was pulled from a wreck several years ago......as it turned out, it wasn't an 'R', but a regular 289 'P' engine of the '56--late '62 vintage.

Externally, the engine had been cleaned up revealing chromed 'R' type rocker covers which must have made someone think it was from an Avanti.

However, it did have the late AFB type manifold, turned freely, (it was strapped to a pallet) and was equipped with a standard shift flywheel, exhaust manifolds...basically a completely intact 289 Stude engine.

So, I purchased it for $200.

Additionally, the fellow who sold me the engine was about to send a VERY rusty '62 GT Hawk to the crusher, it was hit in the front and the hood & bumper were missing, along with some other parts, and with it's engine exposed to the weather for many years.

However, this Hawk was ordered from Studebaker with the optional four speed transmission.....and I also  purchased that complete setup, clutch housing to driveshaft with all the 'little' parts, for what I felt was a very reasonable $300.

MFG had a good STUDEBAKER day!

• 2 weeks later...

Had today (Columbus Day) off from work, so this morning I picked up the 289 Stude engine & four speed setup......The T-10 looks good inside!

Spent a few hours cleaning everything up.

83 and stude parts 009.JPG