1964 or 1966 Avanti -which to buy???

DTM1

18 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

P245/60R15 on 15X8 wheels

IMG_20161012_110136374.thumb.jpg.4f11a540f20480476efb39eba3574b5a.jpg

No rubbing?? What is the backspace??

2 hours ago, DTM1 said:

What shifter do you use? What exactly is the "tv" cable??

The Avanti shifter on my 83 is what I used. When Avanti Motors installed the 4-speed OD trans, they changed the OEM shifter to have one more detent than previously installed. I don't know much about the difference but my guess is the older ones will work but limit low gear selection or could be modified to work. Not fact just my thoughts. You can sometimes find the later shifter on Ebay, Studebaker swap page or asking around on these forums.

The TV cable connects the carb linkage to the trans to allow proper shifting. Accurate adjustment is critical to trans life.

As a thought, in this day and age, if I were to add a 4-speed auto to an older Avanti, I'd go with the "e" series (4L60e as an example) GM autos that are totally computer controlled and buy the control box to control them. It's several hundred dollars more but those transmission are probably much easier to find in good nick in the wrecking yards and eliminates the seperate controllers for shift and lockup.

Edited by Avanti83

I have 255/60R15, Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S on 15X7 rims on back and 26X8R15, Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R on 15X6 rims up front. There is actually a lot of room out back for wide tires if you keep the back-spacing in 4.25 or greater range. As some have posted 4.5" is a good number. Up front I have 3.5" back-spacing.

IMG_20170119_174422.jpg

IMG_20180122_173730.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, DTM1 said:

What shifter do you use? What exactly is the "tv" cable??

Since I do not see this directly answered, a tv cable is a throttle valve cable. 

As stated, it connects the throttle to the transmission.  

If the tv cable is not installed and adjusted properly, the transmission can be damaged in a matter of feet. 

Yes, had I done the work myself, it probably would not have cost as much, but:

1.  Myers has done several of these and knows what's involved,

2.  I'm 68 years old,

3.  The rent's paid and the kid's out of college and gainfully employed.

Edited by Mel
Revised answer