'Tommy' Tompkins

mfg

While reading through the latest issue of 'AVANTI MAGAZINE' (# 179), I felt saddened upon learning of the passing of A. W. "Tommy" Tompkins.

Although I hadn't seen or spoke with Tommy in years, I sure do remember his vibrant personality, and how he kept Avantis in folks thoughts during the dark years right after Studebaker's closing.

In the mid-sixties through late seventies, Tommy Tompkins gave Avanti automobiles as much good P.R. in the New England region as Mr. Hora and Mr. Collins did nationally!

Back then Tommy always had the nicest Avantis around, I clearly remember a turquoise '63 R2 with four speed transmission and polished Paxton blower...he added  Dayton wire wheels to that Avanti, and since at the time it only had around 7,000 miles on it  (new car) it was stunning....folks always crowded around it at the various New England auto shows.

Tommy had many Studebaker Avantis and early Avanti ll's...one that stands out in my mind was a tastefully customized gold R1, which featured wide euro style headlamps and various other modifications to the wheel openings, etc....On that particular Avanti, where the 'pirates buckle' emblem would normally be found on the 'C' pillars, small air scoops were added...which looked really nice!

Tommy also owned a white '63 R1which was equipped with the rather rare three speed manual transmission....a car which has more recently been restored to a very high level!.....He also owned a beautiful 'factory black '63 R1 which subsequently went on to win many awards.

Basically, if the Avanti in question was low miles and like brand new, Tommy probably either owned it or located it for someone else!

Rest In Peace Tommy!!

• 4 weeks later...

The other day I was browsing through an older copy of AVANTI MAGAZINE, and BOY was I surprised..........!

Tommy Tompkins 1963 Avanti R1 custom (which I mentioned in my first post) was only a distant memory, as I never photographed it....and didn't know if any period pictures of it existed.

To my complete surprise, on page 69 of issue #99 (Spring '97)....there are a couple of black&white photos of that very car.

I did know that Tommy's custom '63 Avanti no longer exists.....The car was unfortunately stolen from him around the years '71-'72....and was later on recovered ....completely burnt up!

I'm not to crazy about customized Avantis.....however, this one REALLY DID look exceptional!!