avanti R1 general information

2loud2old

I've had good luck with Champion RJ12YC spark plugs......Available everywhere and relatively inexpensive......I've used these in both Avanti R1 and R2 engines for many years.

Personally, I'd stay with the original dual point setup....why?......because if a problem occurs (while driving) with points, it can usually be resolved on the side of the road.....If a problem occurs with the Petronix, well, you'd best call a tow truck!

As far as the carb goes, if you're handy you can overhaul it yourself after purchasing a Carter rebuild kit (readily available)......However, if you're not comfortable working on the carb yourself, I recommend you send it to David Thibeault.....Tel #............978-897-3158........................Good luck with your Avanti!!

On 8/29/2017 at 11:13 AM, Gunslinger said:

Carburetors are voodoo!  If you're not sure of doing one send it to someone who knows.  

Either you have the talent and understanding or you don't...I don't.

Edited by 2loud2old
sold

Carburetors are not that hard to do. Attention to details, and the replacement of worn parts is paramount to good results. New Champion plugs are made in China, and the porcelain is crap.They foul out, and stay fouled out. NGK  or Bosch  is much much  better

10299997_790640197621923_3268031065420571045_n.jpg

On 9/2/2017 at 9:07 PM, brad said:

Carburetors are not that hard to do. Attention to details, and the replacement of worn parts is paramount to good results. New Champion plugs are made in China, and the porcelain is crap.They foul out, and stay fouled out. NGK  or Bosch  is much much  better

10299997_790640197621923_3268031065420571045_n.jpg

Puzzling why the rebuilder chose not to bother attending to the choke housing?

Major problems may occur when the choke vacuum piston (and its cylinder) are not thoroughly cleaned!

• 2 weeks later...

You need 7mm wires if you intend to use the shrouding for the wires...larger won't fit.  You can also buy universal wires and cut each to length...easy to do.  There's a lot of choices on the market...performance wires as well as oe type.  Go to Pep Boys or another retailer for a set or look at Summit Racing's website and see what they offer.  

On 9/15/2017 at 8:52 AM, Gunslinger said:

You need 7mm wires if you intend to use the shrouding for the wires...larger won't fit.  You can also buy universal wires and cut each to length...easy to do.  There's a lot of choices on the market...performance wires as well as oe type.  Go to Pep Boys or another retailer for a set or look at Summit Racing's website and see what they offer.  

Edited by 2loud2old
sold

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 2:59 PM, mfg said:

Puzzling why the rebuilder chose not to bother attending to the choke housing?

Major problems may occur when the choke vacuum piston (and its cylinder) are not thoroughly cleaned!

It IS cleaned and rebuilt. If you know anything about factory procedures, the choke housing was chromated, and a different color than the surrounding natural aluminum casting of the rest of the carburetor. Thanks again for your ignorance trying to throw me under the bus. 

10 hours ago, brad said:

It IS cleaned and rebuilt. If you know anything about factory procedures, the choke housing was chromated, and a different color than the surrounding natural aluminum casting of the rest of the carburetor. Thanks again for your ignorance trying to throw me under the bus. 

You'll never change Brad,.....sad.

Edited by mfg