Sign in to follow this  
Wasjunk

What hog trough to ise

I am doing a body off frame on RQB 1984  what hog trough should I use. I see a couple different ones being sold

I'm not sure of all the variants but unless George Dimitas at Olympus is selling stainless yet, the only differences I know are the three piece and one piece. Because you are doing a body off, use the one piece.

My choice of vendor particularly if you are installing them yourself is Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Michigan. He bought out the failed Avanti Motors and has parts that will fit. As a bonus, he'll spend whatever time it takes to explain how to do the install and answer any questions you have during and after.

He was invaluable during the install of my front and rear glass a while back. 

Edited by Avanti83

X2 on Dan Booth.  Between Dan and Jon Myer there's more institutional knowledge on all things Avanti than the rest of us put together will ever know.  

I believe there are stainless steel hog troughs made but whether they're worth the extra cost is arguable.  If your car will be an outdoors car, then I think they're worth the extra cost.  If the car will be garaged then maybe not.  The standard grade hog troughs can also be coated in POR-15 or similar paint sealer to eliminate rust issues.

I agree with gunslinger except the POR15. POR15 is made to coat rusty steel and not good steel. It will peel off good steel. Don't ask how I found out. Coat them with a good epoxy primer and top coat.