"POWER STEERING" 63 avanti

studequest

Friends:

I have had to muscle my car with "power steering" ever since I purchased it 9 years ago.  On the road its fine  Turning a corner its "OK" you feel a delay before you get a surge.  not great- Back up parallel park "fuggedaboutid".

i HAVE REBUILT THE RAM. I HAVE NEW HOSES.   i HAVE ALL NEW FRONT END PARTS.  My  PS cannister does leak and it will be attended to.  I have purchased a rebuilt pump from Meyers.  He tells me the output of the pump is 800-1000 PSI.  I am buying a gauge and getting an adapter fitting to check my existing pump pressure  before switching it out and I am hoping to drive my friend's 64 Avanti to get a feel of another car.  Am I missing anything.; anybody with suggestions.  What do others do?

You don't state things like tire size and aspect ratio that can affect steering as well as front end alignment.

Raise the car up with the wheels hanging and see how it steers then.

Edited by studegary

Wow they are really wide tires...I run 215 X70X15  & they are noticeably wide but yours are even wider. I sure hope you're not running on Stude wheels?!

You would definitely need a 6" or 6 1/4" wheel for that width tire !

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, avantifred said:

Wow they are really wide tires...I run 215 X70X15  & they are noticeably wide but yours are even wider. I sure hope you're not running on Stude wheels?!

You would definitely need a 6" or 6 1/4" wheel for that width tire !

.  I do not know what he is referring to when he states; "16:1 aspect ratio".  He is probably referring to the steering ratio.   

Edited by studegary

1 hour ago, studequest said:

not seeing any mods or suggestions on the steering

if my pump failed or was wearing out what would i experience?

To tell you the truth, I've seen those Eaton pumps leak,....usually at the input shaft seal, or at the two gaskets that seal the reservoir to the pump body,....but I've NEVER seen one of those pumps lose output pressure....I guess it could happen, but that would be a real rarity!

I was just responding to the post that the 225r75 is narrower than 215r70. While tire width does affect steering effort, I don't think that is your problem. Without having the car to look at, my best guess is that you have something binding. Is everything greased correctly? The king pins can be a bear to get the grease in the thrust bearings. Are the tierod bolts pointing away from the oilpan? Is the steering box filled with lube and properly adjusted? 

Drove my friends 60 T bird convertible with Eaton Pump

Wow, the steering (same set up as Avanti) is feather light

We will install the rebuilt pump and go through the system

The valve needs to be put together with some movement. This allows the spool to send fluid one way or the other.The nut under the cap on the end of the spool bolt should be tightened just enough to cinch it up then backed off  one flat.

Rob

The BEST thing you can do to ANY stude or Avanti II to upgrade the steering is to swap out the center pin housing with bushings for a Housing that uses needle bearings.  You wouldn't believe you even needed Power Steering.

and this can even be made better by incorporating one of Ray Fichthorns adaption to use a 3rd bearing...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, we seem to have gotten off track. I bought a pump from Meyers and sent mine for exchange

Turns out my original pump all these years was assembled incorrectly. I also had leakage from my reservoir due to a Ford type top in place that had the spout for filling.  Went to standard lid with wing nut and proper threaded stud.  Steering is much improved

Thanks everyone