Need help with Wheels

RINGMASTER

My 1980 Avanti has been in storage for 15 years and I have neglected to visit just pay the storage fees.  I have discovered the wheels and tires have been stolen.  The shop replaced the wheels with older Lincoln Continental wheels and mismatched tires.

The 15" wheels actually don't look bad but I'm concerned if they are the proper fit.  What size tires do you suggest

The standard size was 15"x6" with a 4 1/2" bolt circle...if that matches the wheels the shop installed you should be ok.  The only other issue could be the offset.  As far as tires go, a P215/70R15 or P215/75R15 should work fine.  The 70-series should put a bit wider footprint on the road...the 75-series is slightly taller and will give somewhat better tire wear and fuel mileage...maybe not enough to notice.  

I have P215/70R15 tires on 15"x6" rims on my '70 with no issues at all.  

After 15 years, your tires were probably unsafe anyway...not to make light of them being stolen.

Edited by Gunslinger

Backspacing is very important on these cars, especially if you install wider than original tires. You don't want a tire rub on fiberglass fenders. 15"X6" with at least 3-3/4" backspacing, preferably 4". Most custom wheels come in 3-1/4" to 3-3/8" , which will make tires too close, especially turning while hitting a bump.

I'm running 17 X 8 inch Mustang rims on my 74. I used 2000-04 Bullitt style and the back spacing is fine on the rear. Quite tight on the front so I'm adding a 1/8" spacer.

My 83 has 15 X 8 inch custom wheels with about 3.5" BS on the front and about 4.5" BS on the rear. I can get a closer BS on the 83 front but it will take some time.

Mike,

I didn't handle it correctly.  Thought the owner of the shop was a friend and he said he would make it good.  At the time I was doing a lot of traveling so each time I came back home I checked and he said he was working on the proper replacement.  He said the loss was not covered by insurance because the night it happened he had moved the car from indoor storage to a fenced lot.  I was having the gas tank cleaned do to gas sediment.  Now I know better.