Avanti hard to get out of reverse

tharrill

I need help.  I have a Borg Warner T-10,  4-speed in my Avanti.  Recently I noticed that, after trying to back the car out of my garage, that the transmission will not shift out of reverse gear.  After working the shifter and the clutch I was able to get it functioning correctly again.  The car has done this twice so far.  I am afraid to take it anywhere because of this problem.  Has anyone else had this problem and/or can you recommend a fix?  I am assuming that it is not in the transmission itself because when I crawled under the car I could put it back into neutral by pulling back on the reverse rod (after disconnecting the reverse rod from the shifter).  The rod moved very easily so I know there is no binding there.  I am assuming that the problem in the shift mechanism, perhaps with one of the (as the Studebaker parts manual calls them, “Plates” which are of different thicknesses.  The plates (I think) serve to determine which shift rod is activated serving like an interlock of sorts.  The service manual talks about adjusting the length of the rods but nothing (that I can see) talks about how to select the proper “plate” width. 

Any advice, suggestions?  I would like to get the car back on the road again soon.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Tom Harrill

• 5 months later...

If you intend to stick with the factory four speed shifter, you might want to give Dave Thibeault a call as he stocks parts for these, and also offers a rebuilding service.

It would be costly, but a Hurst 'Competition Plus' shifter would be a major improvement all around.

Thibeault's Tel# is.......978-897-3158