logo

paboone

I have owned a 1963 R1 (#211) for about 25 years. As far as I know it is untouched body wise. In all pictures I've seen there is an emblem to the rear of the back windows, which mine does not have. does anyone know what significance, if any, this has? I was told by original owner that this car was the second one unloaded in California, built 9/62, with Frank Sinatra buying the first. Randy Boone. paboone@thegrid.net.

It sounds like you're talking about the "Pirate's Buckles" on the sail panels (or "C" pillars). If your car is an untouched early car, who knows for what reason they might be missing. Being missing simply could have been a factory oversight, or removed by a previous owner and the mounting holes refinished.

About the only way to tell if they were ever there, short of stripping the finish off would be to remove the interior trim and see if there is evidence of body filler where the holes would be. Local to me is the #8 car Bonneville racer, 63R1014 (the 14th Avanti built) and it has the emblems.

It sounds like you're talking about the "Pirate's Buckles" on the sail panels (or "C" pillars). If your car is an untouched early car, who knows for what reason they might be missing. Being missing simply could have been a factory oversight, or removed by a previous owner and the mounting holes refinished.

About the only way to tell if they were ever there, short of stripping the finish off would be to remove the interior trim and see if there is evidence of body filler where the holes would be. Local to me is the #8 car Bonneville racer, 63R1014 (the 14th Avanti built) and it has the emblems.

All Avantis (Stude) should have the sail panel emblems. 63R 1005, 63R1016 and 63R1017 have them.