Rear leaf springs

Milt

My rear leaf springs have sagged and I am in the process of fixing them. Should I buy new or have them rebuilt? The only new ones I can find are in MA and I am in Seattle, so shipping may be a factor. Also, the previous owner intalled taller shackles to compensate for the sag. Can I get the originals shackles somewhere, and if not how long is the measurement from hole to hole.

Thanks

Milt

Just when I think I have all my problems solved, I find another. Part of the fun of an old car.

Milt,

Don't know if you want to use original equipment only, but my Avanti ungoes the knife starting next week and I plan on purchasing these (http://flex-a-form.com). Maybe we can get a better deal going in as two orders OR if you can wait until I pull mine off you can get my current springs. I'm in So Cal so shipping might be a little cheaper. I can try to get measurements tomorrow on brackets.

Chuck S.

Chuck,

Are these the fiberglass spings? I have been considering new springs, currently

my Avanti has a set of Lark station wagon springs. To use them I need some

2 inch lowering blocks made!! I contacted eaton springs, and they can make

any height/rate you want, but I couldnt get a reference dimension to know what

spring I wanted to get - stock? 1 inch drop? 2 inch drop? :unsure:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

Tom

I just had my leaf springs rebuilt. I took them to a shop that specializes in auto and truck springs. It took them about two hours to rebuild and refinish them. They set them up to raise the rear of the car about a half inch higher when reinstalled.

They said the middle leaves of the springs were dimensionally identical to Nova springs.

If you can get fiberglass springs at a reasonable cost, I'd say go for it...less weight, better ride and should last forever.

Chuck,

Are these the fiberglass spings?

Tom

The fiberglass springs are from Flex-a-form of South Carolina. Spoke with George Smolen there and he still needs the form on his site filled out with the exact dimensions so he can properly form and layout the fiberglass springs. I'm waiting on the disassembly of my Avanti so I can pull the measurements for him.

Chuck

Chuck,

Any idea how much a set will cost? Also, can they be made to resist wheel hop?

I have read that the fiberglass springs already resist it, but can more be done? I

am interested, though how will they determine ride height? How to adjust?

Does David Livesay have that info? He seems to have all that stuff.

Tom

Edited by SBCA96