Trunk wiring question

mtgibby

It is very hard to find pictures of the Avanti trunk wiring!

I am trying to figure out where the plugs come out of the access channels. There's only one hole on the right, so I think I figured out that side!

Thanks!

Mike

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

Michael, the tail light housing needs to come back out. The wires dont come out the hole inside the trunk, but run in the hollow above the sides to the tail lights.

On the drivers side, the rear largest hole is the antenna , then the next one back, is the trunk light lens.  The rear smalles hole is the wires up to the trunk lid, and the back-up lights. You have to feed the flat three prong connector forwards to the other connector you have hanging out the antenna hole. You should be able to feed it back where the lens opening is to connect them.

Brad

No grommet is in the hole.   There is a black plastic sleeve over the wire and the sleeve/wire combination fits fairly snug in the hole.   Hopefully your YNZ harness should be correct and have a black plastic sleeve over the license plate wire at that point.

Ok, not a wiring question, but which way does the shelf support in the trunk screw in?

Flat side up or Chanel side up?

I got it half way in when I realized it was probably supposed to go in flat side up. No?

Thanks, Mike

IMG_0254.JPG

It looks upside down...   the Pretty sure that the flat side should face up.  that slot in the top side I think is there to hold the spring catch in the access door.   Mine is off now, but will check one of the others in the shop tomorrow.

The pictured bar is the one that is supposed to mount on the shelf itself. The piece that screws to the bulkhead is more like an angle iron, not a channel.

Thanks guys.

That is the angle iron shaped piece. I just couldn't find the right word to describe it at the time. I have the large channel piece off the shelf as well, waiting to get repainted after I replace the Naugahyde. I am totally missing the pass through door/hatch and will have to find one or recreate it.

Now I see it more clearly. You have it upside down . The screws should be on the bottom of the flange, and the carpet covers them when installed on the bulkhead.  You should wait to install it until you cover the top panel above it. The naugas will have no place to hide.

Edited by brad

Mike,  here is what the license plate light wiring should look like.  I need to use this on my other Avanti...  but I should have another one somewhere. If I find it, you can have it.   

IMG_3066.jpg

Thanks Lew. That is very generous! The covering in much thicker than I thought it would be. I may need to enlarge the hole I drilled.

Brad, I was just test fitting the shelf to see if I painted the fawn areas under the rear glass low enough.

Any special hints for covering fiberglass area/waterfall? Is the naugahyde hemmed on the far right and left sides or does the side/sail trim cover that?

You should use Weldwood Landau, and vinyl top adhesive. Anything else, and your asking for trouble. No hems or seams. Fold it back on itself, and do 1/2 a a time. Place masking paper between halves to keep glue off the other half your not gluing. Get a good wallpaper seam roller to follow the contours and get sharp creases around the back rest bumps.

Batka rear panel.jpeg

Edited by brad

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, brad said:

You should use Weldwood Landau, and vinyl top adhesive. Anything else, and your asking for trouble. No hems or seams. Fold it back on itself, and do 1/2 a a time. Place masking paper between halves to keep glue off the other half your not gluing. Get a good wallpaper seam roller to follow the contours and get sharp creases around the back rest bumps.

very nice work! ☺