Avanti II engine

schuyler

That's very common of the federal government...have multiple and contradictory laws in place simultaneously.  The are federal rules regarding income that state income under a certain dollar amount does not need to be reported on your tax returns.  There's also federal rules that state all income must be reported.  Take your pick when filling out your tax returns.

The feds are masters of the game of "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullish!t!"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York State inspection (annual) requires that all original emissions equipment be installed and functioning.  You may find an inspector that doesn't know what should be there, but that does not make it legal.    

IRT to Gary's post above regarding New York rules: I understand that a number of states have similar regs.  Unfortunately, some of the parts needed to make those early emissions systems function are no longer available.  I have a 70 Camaro that has a premium-gas 350 in it that uses a transmission-controlled spark arrangement (only get full advance in 4th gear) to reduce emissions.  Several of the parts of that system, such as the solenoid, have been NLA for decades.  They still come up on ebay now and then, but for outrageous prices.  The Corvette restorers have driven the prices through the roof.

Skip...are you sure that solenoid isn't available as a reproduction part?  The reproduction parts aren't usually as good as original GM but they do serve a purpose for otherwise unavailable parts.

You might also go to a Chevy dealer and have them check their national computer and see if any are sitting on the shelf at some Chebby dealer in the sticks somewhere.  When I had a '78 Vette L82, I needed a a/c kick up solenoid for the carburetor which was specific to that year and model.  The local Chevy dealer looked it up...the part number had changed before it was declared obsolete.  They found about a half-dozen dealers across the country that had them still on the shelf.  I called the closest one (in PA) and talked to the parts manager.  He said he had two and they retailed for $90 each.  He said if I bought both to clear his shelf of dead merchandise I could have them for $35 each shipped.  I took them both...installed one and sold the other on eBay for more than the two cost me.  I've since seen them available now as reproduction parts.

Give that a try.

Bruce --

You may very well be right -- I haven't checked in several years, so my info is probably out of date.  I had that factoid in my head from when I was dealing with the DC DMV on whether to exempt historic vehicles from emissions inspection.  It was a handy data point to throw down on the table, but may no longer be true.  Thanks for the suggestion -- I will pursue an OEM one first, just in case I can repeat your good fortune.

• 3 years later...
On 7/20/2017 at 3:46 AM, Mike Sal said:

I just ran across what appears to be something on the order of a window sticker (or invoice) for my RQA 0330.  The list of "standard equipment" mentions "350cu. in. Stingray Engine", but no code number.  I also have the build sheet (September '69) which also only says "350 cu. in. Engine".  The engine number listed at the top portion of the build sheet shows number V09078BQ (I think the first digit is a V.....it's hand written on the form).

Mike Sal

Hi Mike,

A bit late but did you decode the "8BQ"? I'm looking for this information but can't find it. My engine has the same code but the engine was build 23 days later.

What I know: The complete code is: CE9 24062 V0830 3BQ. So, it is a Chevrolet Engine, assembled in 1969 in Flint on 8th of august.

Kodjo

IMG_0336.JPEG

My 1987 Avanti Coupe uses the Monte Carlo chassis with the 305ci HO engine.

I remember test driving a mid-70's Avanti with a 400ci small block and a 2bbl carb years ago.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

On 1/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, IndyJimW said:

My 1987 Avanti Coupe uses the Monte Carlo chassis with the 305ci HO engine.

I remember test driving a mid-70's Avanti with a 400ci small block and a 2bbl carb years ago.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

Over the years, I've driven Avanti II with the original SBC 327". 350", 400" and 305".

Today, there have been so many engine swaps, it's anyone's guess which engine and transmission is in a given car.

jack vines

I can imagine the engine swaps. But what engines did Avanti fit in their 1969/70? My CE engine is a GM Warranty engine. My guess is that these were engines build for no brand in particular. Avanti did not build a lot of cars with a 350ci engine in '69. Did they buy warranty engines from GM?

58 minutes ago, Kodjo said:

I can imagine the engine swaps. But what engines did Avanti fit in their 1969/70? My CE engine is a GM Warranty engine. My guess is that these were engines build for no brand in particular. Avanti did not build a lot of cars with a 350ci engine in '69. Did they buy warranty engines from GM?

RQA in '69 and early '70 were 327s.  RQB in '70 were 350s.  

Avanti purchased small lots of engines from GM and just used them, not necessarily in order. 

17 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Nearly all RQA Avantis received the Corvette 327/300hp engine.  In the 1970 model year beginning with RQA0315 and subsequent RQB cars in 1970 received the Corvette 350/300hp engines.  CE means it's a "counter sold" or "crate engine".  The best I can decode the engine shown is it was from the Flint, MI foundry and was cast on August 30 but can't say what year.  Obtaining a copy of the production order from Nostalgic Motors will give you the engine number installed by Avanti Motors.  That will confirm whether the engine is original to the car.

Avanti Motors would purchase roughly a six month supply of engines at a time for a volume discount...they were used in no particular order but engine numbers for each car were recorded on the build sheet.  Whether Avanti Motors purchased the engines direct from GM or through a local Chevy dealer I can't say.  The engines were warranted by GM and dealers would service them under the GM warranty.  

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Nearly all RQA Avantis received the Corvette 327/300hp engine.  In the 1970 model year beginning with RQA0315 and subsequent RQB cars in 1970 received the Corvette 350/300hp engines.  CE means it's a "counter sold" or "crate engine".  The best I can decode the engine shown is it was from the Flint, MI foundry and was cast on August 30 but can't say what year.  Obtaining a copy of the production order from Nostalgic Motors will give you the engine number installed by Avanti Motors.  That will confirm whether the engine is original to the car.

Avanti Motors would purchase roughly a six month supply of engines at a time for a volume discount...they were used in no particular order but engine numbers for each car were recorded on the build sheet.  Whether Avanti Motors purchased the engines direct from GM or through a local Chevy dealer I can't say.  The engines were warranted by GM and dealers would service them under the GM warranty.    

The 350ci block was casted in 1968 and assembled in 1969. My car is also build in 1969 so it could be the original.

I read on several pages that CE means "Chevrolet Engine" and that this is not a Crate Engine nor counter sold. But, nevertheless, a build sheet would be conclusive. I live in the Netherlands and Nostalgic Motors does not ship outside the USA. I asked for a digital copy, that would be great already.

40 minutes ago, Kodjo said:

The 350ci block was casted in 1968 and assembled in 1969. My car is also build in 1969 so it could be the original.

I read on several pages that CE means "Chevrolet Engine" and that this is not a Crate Engine nor counter sold. But, nevertheless, a build sheet would be conclusive. I live in the Netherlands and Nostalgic Motors does not ship outside the USA. I asked for a digital copy, that would be great already.

If Dan won't send a digital copy, You can have him send it to me, I'll scan it and email or text it to you digitally and then send the copy from Dan to you in the Netherlands.

I'll send you my address and email if it's necessary.

Bob

Dunno if this will provide any additional info, but I remember reading years ago that, early on, Avanti Motors bought base Corvette engines in batches. If that is true, early original Avanti II engine casting numbers/hp would likely be:

3782970 (327ci 250hp)

3858174 (327ci 300hp)

3892657 (327ci 300hp)

3914678 (327ci 300hp)

3932386 (350ci 300hp)

3970010 (350ci 300hp)

• 5 weeks later...

My 1970 Avanti II RQA 0332 came with a 350 CID 300 HP. I am fixing that with it bored to 355 CID and a Roller Cam and rockers and Turbo Angle Plug GM cylinder heads. Hopefully I will have some success this spring/summer in bringing this very old project to fruition.

Bill

On 7/29/2017 at 8:19 AM, silverstude said:

My car ,1970  RQA-0381 had the build written on June 26, 1969 - Engine# V0312880 (350/300) - Body #RQ-4921  

Does anyone who owns an early Avanti II still have the body tag on the car?

I realize this thread is nearly 4 years old! My 1970 Avanti II RQA-0385 still retains the body tag #4925. It was built in early 1969 and sold August 1971. It was equipped with a 350 CU. IN. Stingray Engine. I haven’t looked at the casting number yet.

CB9899D4-EB79-4EB8-9105-A82FE3B9BEFC.jpeg