Intro and Question

jlorini

I have a '63 R1 with electric windows. It appears as though i have to replace the motors (ok going down, slow or no go going up). I have the Avanti Mag article that describes one way to get the motor out of the door. Does anyone have any better ideas? Does anyone have a write-up of this procedure? I would appreciate any hints.

p.s. I will take pictures when I do it for future reference.

Welcome to the Forum.

I would suggest taking it apart, and then greasing/oiling everything before you

replace anything. Inspect the rollers and assorted guides. With cars this old,

the lubrication that the factory put on dried up YEARS ago. I know that my '93

Camaro's drivers window started to not want to roll back up, after getting some

lube on the parts, it works fine again - 227,000 miles.

Tom

I have a '63 R1 with electric windows. It appears as though i have to replace the motors (ok going down, slow or no go going up). I have the Avanti Mag article that describes one way to get the motor out of the door. Does anyone have any better ideas? Does anyone have a write-up of this procedure? I would appreciate any hints.

p.s. I will take pictures when I do it for future reference.

The previous poster has good suggestions related to lubrication of all moving parts. You should also expect to find deterioration of the "Mole Skin" felt lining of the metal glass guides. When this stuff wears out or falls off the friction on the edge of the glass pane becomes more than the lift motor can handle because the glass becomes cocked out of alignment in its travel. In severe cases the metal glass guides can be rusted and separated from their mounting flanges. Be prepared for these problems to deal with, a defective motor is possible but other contributing defects are more likely. Stude8