Front Seat Belt Restraining System

Walter Trindler

I have a 1990 4-door sedan.

The front seat belt restraining system (comes from a Pontiac Bonneville) failed by not staying locked when pulling. This happened at the same time for the left and right hand system. It seêms that it is an electronic Problem.

Does anybody had the same Problem and how was it solved?

I'm not sure there is any electronic activation back in that era. The belts usually locked from inertia when the belt is pulled hard. I think the wiring is for the signal to say they are being used. Newer cars/trucks do have an explosive charge to positively lock the belts when the bags deploy. That's was explained to me by the owner of the local wrecking yard when I asked about buying belts with the 2006 seats I purchased. He said it was, of course, a liability issue with any of them but the newer ones were unusable due to the locking issue.

If you give them a hard pull and they don't engage, I'd replace them.

Just sharing my discussion with the local folks.

Bob

Walter

I suspect that you are probably correct about replacement parts but I would think that there are acceptable alternatives.

Let me suggest that you talk to Dan Booth of Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Michigan. He is a great source of parts as well as information. I know a call may not be cheap but I can't think of a better source than Dan.

Info: Address: 47400 Avante Dr, Wixom, MI 48393

I can visualize the 74 and 83 belts because I have both years and there is nothing about them that I could not find in our aftermarket. They are essentially a generic GM belt. Your's may be different but I'll bet Dan has the solution.
If Dan can't help, and I be shocked if he can't, take a picture or two and I'll Google the usual suspects in this country for a match.
My guess is they look a lot like these.
s-l500.jpg
Bob
Edited by Avanti83