Front license plate mount

BillyBob

It's mounted using the same holes as the ones provided for the bumper center cushion....either re-installing the cushion over the plate, or leaving the center cushion off entirely.

Yes, indeed very ugly!!

Edited by mfg

Avantis look better without the plate. I just keep the front plate under the seat or in the glovebox. Never been stopped or questioned by any law enforcement. If they should ask why no front plate, I'll just tell them that a location was not designed for the front license plate, and in the early '60s many states did not require them. But never was stopped or questioned.

I've been cautioned by the H P about not having the plate mounted. But most agree that if you have the plate in the car so isn't on another they will let you slide. However it does give them one more reason to stop and fine you.

Charlie RQB3921

P,S, 3921 is still for sale.

In Mass we're supposed to run two plates....I fashioned a bracket for my '63 that locates the plate lower, and to the right (facing the car) of the radiator air scoop.

It works....but I still don't like it!

This was years ago but someone made and sold front license brackets that were very useful for an Avanti without the stone guard mounted in the air scoop. I don't remember if it was through the AOAI or SDC it was sold but that's really immaterial. One can make it himself.

Basically, it's two metal straps with the appropriate bends that attached between the center bumper cushion and the bumper then wraps along the bottom of the bumper itself, then has attached a piano hinge with two tabs for the license plate to bolt to. When your driving the plate hinges back with the airstream so there's no restriction to the radiator. When you stop the license plate swings down and hangs vertically.

If you get stopped for having no front plate, it's hanging right there once the officer goes and looks at it.

I had one of these on the '63 I owned many years ago and it worked great. It won't work with a car with the stone guard as I said as the plate hits the stone guard when hinged back.

This was years ago but someone made and sold front license brackets that were very useful for an Avanti without the stone guard mounted in the air scoop. I don't remember if it was through the AOAI or SDC it was sold but that's really immaterial. One can make it himself.

Basically, it's two metal straps with the appropriate bends that attached between the center bumper cushion and the bumper then wraps along the bottom of the bumper itself, then has attached a piano hinge with two tabs for the license plate to bolt to. When your driving the plate hinges back with the airstream so there's no restriction to the radiator. When you stop the license plate swings down and hangs vertically.

If you get stopped for having no front plate, it's hanging right there once the officer goes and looks at it.

I had one of these on the '63 I owned many years ago and it worked great. It won't work with a car with the stone guard as I said as the plate hits the stone guard when hinged back.

Except for unrestricted air flow at speed (which really isn't a problem with something the size of a license plate) I really don't see any benefit from a 'hinged' plate bracket...At an auto show, for example, there the plate is hanging straight down as usual!!

Thank you to all! I should have been more specific and, in asking another Avanti owner, I've come up with a solution. My intent is to show a front plate at car shows and cruise-ins only. Actually, it is not a license plate - rather a license-plate sized identification plaque I received at a show several years ago. I will use either cables or chain with S-hooks attached to each end ot the cable/chain - one end going through each of the license plate holes, the other ends looping over a horizontal grille bar. Easily removed and won't mess with bumper pads, etc. Ok, and even those times when I forget to remove it, with luck, it just may stay in place until I remember to remove it!

Studebaker International sells one. It is on page 123 of their catalog. You can mount the plate directly to the rubber bumber pad, but the plate will get damaged if you hit or rub on a curb. The bracket keeps the plate rigid and in place. It was never offered by Studebaker, but it works!

Avantis look better without the plate. I just keep the front plate under the seat or in the glovebox. Never been stopped or questioned by any law enforcement. If they should ask why no front plate, I'll just tell them that a location was not designed for the front license plate, and in the early '60s many states did not require them. But never was stopped or questioned.

I agree that Avantis look better without a front plate. And I also agree that you're very unlikely to get pulled over for a missing front plate. But if you drive your Avanti anywhere except to car shows, you could still get a ticket. I got a $40 ticket for no front plate a few years ago, while my car was parked at a meter in Arlington, Virginia. Both Virginia and DC (where my car is registered) require two plates, and have always done so (except during WWII).

And BTW, very few states have switched from only issuing one plate to requiring two. The few that have changed have generally gone from having two plates to only one.

Jack, I agree about the bumpers. The small flats on the front fenders under the turn signals need to be rounded.

Also think the rear looks better (wider) by eliminating the backup lights in the trunk. Eliminating the shackle boxes helps, as well as the blisters for the side mounting of the bumpers.

Jack, I agree about the bumpers. The small flats on the front fenders under the turn signals need to be rounded.

Also think the rear looks better (wider) by eliminating the backup lights in the trunk. Eliminating the shackle boxes helps, as well as the blisters for the side mounting of the bumpers.

That's pretty much what they did on the 'Phantomworks' TV show '83 Avanti....and the car did come out very nice looking....however, it would be an extremely 'fragile' car to drive in traffic without any bumper protection at all!

I produced those back in the late '70s and early '80s and offered them through AOAI. Sold many internationally. I think I still have a few on a shelf in the garage. The plate holder fit inside the front bumper cavity and attached to the center pad mounting studs. Glad it worked well for you. Always good to get feedback...even 35 years after the sale.

Dennis